Assumption High School Newsletter
September 18, 2013
Dear Assumption Community,
With the excitement of a new school year and the start of Fall just around the corner, we invite you to enjoy the third installment of our new Assumption High School e-newsletter.
The latest newsletter features outstanding news about our increased enrollment, new hires, recaps of recent athletic accomplishments, as well as alumni updates.
I enjoyed reconnecting with many of you at various reunion events this past summer, and look forward to seeing you all at Homecoming this October!
Please continue to send your news, feedback, and ideas. As always, we look forward to and want to hear from you!
One in the Spirit,
Jordan Gizzarelli '99
Director of Alumni Relations
Enrollment Reaches 11-Year High
Assumption welcomed 138 new Knights this fall as enrollment reached an 11-year high of 480 students. This year's student body includes 9th through 12th graders from all of the local parishes, and has a diverse makeup with 15 percent of students self-identified as minorities.
Graduate Named Dean of Students
Joe Barrer, a 1999 Assumption graduate, has been named Dean of Students. In his new role, Barrer will oversee student discipline and will work closely with several student groups, including Student Council. Barrer has been a member of Assumption’s faculty since 2009, teaching physical education, health, and religion while also serving as head boys’ basketball coach, leading his teams to State Tournament appearances in 3 of the past 4 years.
Of his new role Barrer says, “I’m honored to be able to serve Assumption students and parents as Dean of Students. Assumption has been a great place to work and I’m very thankful to Bridget Murphy, Andy Craig, and our Board of Directors for this opportunity. I look forward to doing my best in assisting all of our students in fulfilling the mission of Assumption High School.”
Homecoming 2013 Just a Few Weeks Away
Assumption will celebrate Homecoming 2013 during the week of September 30. As always, the week will include several dress-up days and plenty of Knight Spirit at the Homecoming Pep Rally, Bonfire, and Dancing with the Studs competition to be held Wednesday evening, October 2. An all-school Homecoming Mass will be celebrated on Thursday, October 3, and later that evening, the Knights will face Davenport Central at Brady Street Stadium for their annual Homecoming Game. The theme for this year’s Homecoming Dance, scheduled for Saturday, October 5, is “A Knight and His Princess.”
Students Save Lives at Fall Blood Drive
Assumption students and faculty recently participated in the annual Fall Blood Drive led by science teacher and “Top Teacher Search (“LIVE! With Kelly”) national finalist Mrs. Wendy Martin. Staff members from the Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center were on hand to collect donations.
"The Blood Drive is a great way for students and staff to perform an invaluable community service together. It gives students a sense of pride when they know they helped us reach our goal," Martin said. "Many students who first donate at school blood drives become lifelong donors."
New Faculty and Staff Join the Assumption Family
Assumption welcomed several new faculty members this year, including alum Mr. Zack Kaczmarek '07 (World Civ), Ms. Caitlin Polzin (8th grade Algebra, Algebra 1, Calc and Honors Pre-Calc), Mr. Casey Redmond (Physical Education and Health), and Mrs. Anna O'Flaherty (French, Computer Apps and English Writing 12).
New Band Director Mrs. Erin Mahr and new Choir Director Mr. Trevor Loes joined the Fine Arts Department, and Mrs. Lynne Zoulek is Assumption's new School Counselor.
Fine Arts News
Knight Players to Perform Two Shows
The Assumption Knight Players will stage two performances this fall, the Children's Musical, Honk! Jr., and Fall Play, Lend Me a Tenor.
Honk! Jr., is a musical adaptation of the Hans Christian Andersen story, The Ugly Duckling. Directed by Assistant Drama Director, Jeanine Link, the cast and crew will stage performances on October 12 and 13 at 2 p.m. in Sunderbruch Auditorium. The Oct. 12 performance will be preceded by a Children’s Workshop for students in 1st–6th grade. For information on attending the workshop, please email Jeanine at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Performances of Lend Me a Tenor, a sidesplitting comedy by Ken Ludwig, will be held November 1 and 2 at 7 p.m., and Nov. 3rd at 2 p.m. The Sunday performance will be followed by the 54th Annual Spaghetti Supper from 4 - 7 p.m., so come for the show and stay for the spaghetti!
New Drama Director, Elizabeth (Liz) King '00, would like to invite everyone to experience the talent of Assumption’s Drama Department. “We have a wonderful group of gifted actors and actresses this year. If you haven’t been to a Knight Players’ production recently, come back and see what you’ve been missing!”
If you have questions about the Knight Players, please email KingL@mail.assumption.pvt.k12.ia.us for more information!
Knights are Des Moines Register All-Sports Champions Again
Assumption capped perhaps the most successful athletics year in school history by earning the Des Moines Register's All-Sports Award for the second consecutive year. The Knights won the Small Schools Division with 65 points, outdistancing the next closest competitor, Dyersville Beckman, by nearly 30 points. 2012-13 was indeed a great year to be a Knight!
Top 5 Small Schools – Up to 349 students – (grades 9-11)
1. Assumption (65.5) – (volleyball 2.5; girls’ cross country 6; wrestling 8; girls’ basketball 10; boys’ basketball 5; girls’ track 10; girls’ tennis 6; girls’ soccer 10; baseball 8)
2. Beckman (Dyersville) (37.5) – (football 5.5; boys’ track 6; girls’ golf 8; boys’ soccer 8; baseball 10)
3. MOC-FV (Orange City) (35) – (volleyball 10; girls’ cross country 8; girls’ basketball 5.5; boys’ basketball 6; girls’ track 3; boys’ soccer 2.5)
4. Carroll Kuemper (32.5)
5. Dike-New Hartford (31)
Track & Field Sprinters Earn All-American Status
Members of the 2013 Assumption Girls Track & Field State Championship Team competed at the 2013 New Balance Outdoor National Track & Field Meet in Greensboro, NC, in June.
Current seniors Emma Bassier, Maddie Irmen, Markel Mommsen, Christine Rohlf, and Rose Ripslinger, represented Assumption at the meet and made history with a fourth-place finish in the Sprint Medley Relay. By virtue of their finish, the group received All-American honors. Irmen finished 22nd in the 400 M Dash, while Bassier came in 25th in the 100 M Dash. Assumption also set new school-records in the 4 x 200 M Relay and Swedish Relay during the three-day meet.
Baseball's Magical Run Ends in Title Game
The 2013 baseball season saw the Knights finish the regular season with a 21-15 record and an uncharacteristic 6-game losing streak. What happened next was one of the greatest postseason runs in recent history, as the Knights' bats and arms came alive for a 6-game winning streak that carried them all the way to the Iowa Class 3A State Championship game at Principal Park in Des Moines. Despite coming up just short of the ultimate prize, head coach Billy Argo '84 still deemed the season a success.
"Despite losing our last six regular season games and 10 of our last 12, our team and coaching staff did not give up on each other. We knew what we were capable of as a team because we had seen it earlier in the season. We played with great enthusiasm during our playoff run to the state title game" Argo said. "The loss was a difficult one to take but will serve to motivate our returning players next summer. We recognize our outgoing seniors for their contributions to the Assumption baseball program and thank them for the legacy they leave behind."
New Coaching Hires Announced
The Athletic Department hired a handful of new coaches over the summer including Rachel Milliman (Girls Basketball), Alex Flores (Cross Country), Linsey Krueger (Knight Kompany Dance) and Casey Redmond (Boys' Tennis/Freshman Girls' Basketball).
• Tommy Harris ‘09 won the Knut Erickson Award at the annual Blanket Awards Dinner at Augustana College in May 2013. Harris, a distance runner in track & field and a member of the Vikings cross country team, was given the award which goes to the male athlete with the highest cumulative grade point average among the senior Blanket Award winners.
• Hannah Adams '10, a senior majoring in Apparel, Merchandising, and Design at Iowa State University, received the Elizabeth Beveridge Memorial Scholarship, the L. Mildred Wilson Scholarship, and the Edalene Shohr Brown Scholarship.
• Stephanie Blaser '09, a senior majoring in Dietetics at Iowa State University, received the Helen A. Foster Scholarship and the Bernice Kunerth Watt and Raymond D. Watt Scholarship.
• Austin Smith '11, a junior majoring in Athletic Training/Pre-Athletic Training at Iowa State University, received the Louise Moen Hamilton Scholarship.
• Emily Brimeyer '11, a junior majoring in Apparel, Merchandising, and Design at Iowa State University, received the Textile and Clothing Development Scholarship and the Noma Scott Lloyd Scholarship.
• Jamie Blaser '11, a junior majoring in Event Management at Iowa State University, received the Marjorie McKinley Scholarship.
Marriages & Engagements
• Angie Guy was married to Sean Stender on October 6, 2012.
• Joe Garrison '05 married Ashley Voelliger in August 2013.
• Nate Lawrence ’01 is engaged to Mehgin Hundoble. The couple will be married in January 2014.
• Margaret (Maggie) M. Lonergan '59 McClung passed away Oct. 5, 2012.
• Bernadine M. "Bernie" Weiman ’39 Schloemer passed away on April 3, 2013.
• Kevin M. Smith ’74 passed away on April 7, 2013.
• Evelyn V. Edelen ’75 McGrath passed away on April 8, 2013.
• Christopher M. Tripp ‘97 passed away on July 4, 2013.
• Richard A. Lange ’70 passed away July 17, 2013.
• John J. “Red’’ McManus, a 1943 graduate of St. Ambrose Academy, passed away on July 23, 2013. As head boys basketball coach at Assumption from 1950-58, he had eight consecutive winning seasons and compiled a 119-45 record.
His 1955 team finished third in the state tournament and he also coached the Knights to a state baseball title in 1954. McManus, who went on to coach at Creighton University where he took the program to new heights, was remembered in a local article, read it here.
• Charlene Gaul ‘64 Bice passed away on Aug. 6, 2013.
• Michael J. Nares ’69 passed away on Aug. 26, 2013.
• Rosemary Rita Dolan '44 Crook passed away on April 23, 2013
If there is news that you would like to see appear in the next newsletter, please email us at: email@example.com.
Class of 1968: Oct. 11 at The Hotel Blackhawk
Contact: Katie Blunk Tritt (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Class of 2003: Oct. 19 at Van's Pizza, Pub & Grill
Contact: Nick Haut (email@example.com)
If you are interested in planning for your class reunion, or know of someone else who might be, please contact Jordan Gizzarelli at 563-326-5313 x 242 for more information.