Assumption High School Newsletter
January 22, 2014
Dear Assumption Community,
Happy New Year to all and welcome to the latest installment of the Assumption High School e-newsletter.
This edition takes a look back at a few of the many highlights from the fall semester, including the Student Hunger Drive and Spaghetti Supper, as well as Fine Arts and Athletics achievements of our very talented student body.
Near the end of the newsletter, you will find alumni news and information about upcoming reunions. In the coming months we plan to profile just a few of the many, many successful women and men that are graduates of Assumption. If you know of an alumni success story that you think should be shared, please contact me. These profiles are sure to make you even more proud to call AHS your alma mater!
As always, we look forward to and want to hear from you, so please continue to send your news, feedback, and ideas.
One in the Spirit,
Jordan Gizzarelli '99
Director of Alumni Relations
Student Hunger Drive Collects Over 40,000 Lbs.
Assumption students collected 41,043 pounds of non-perishable food items to help stock local food pantries. This staggering number equates to an average of 83.5 points per student! Following tradition, Assumption’s participation in the Student Hunger Drive was led by the AHS Student Council, and marked the second straight year that students have surpassed the 40,000 pound mark! The River Bend Foodbank estimates that each pound of donated food has an approximate value of $1.00 and equates (on the average) to one meal for one person.
The 28th Annual Student Hunger Drive enjoyed participation from 18 area schools and collected a combined total 521,115 pounds - or nearly 261 tons - of non-perishable food.
Assumption Angels Make Their Debut
On Sept. 12, Sarah Coughlin, Izzie Robbins and Madelyn Bennett made history at the sophomore football game between Assumption and North Scott, when the trio made their debuts as members of Assumption's first inclusive cheerleading squad.
Senior cheerleading captain Rachel Clay and alum Spencer Krawiec '12 helped found the Assumption Angels, a spinoff of Pleasant Valley's Sparkles cheer squad that encourages inclusion of students with disabilities in school-based cheerleading and dance programs. The Angels wear Assumption cheerleading uniforms and sport black and red pom-poms, all while cheering alongside the sophomore cheerleading squad.
You can read more about this heart-warming story here.
Seniors Host Annual Spaghetti Supper
The senior class of 2014 hosted Assumption's annual Spaghetti Supper fundraiser on Sunday, Nov. 10, in the AHS Cafeteria. Funds raised at the event were gifted back to Assumption by the senior class in the form of a new intercom system for the school.
Our Lady of Lourdes in Bettendorf hosted a Mass for the senior class on the morning of the Spaghetti Supper, which we hope will become part of the yearly event.
"The Assumption community is fortunate to benefit from the hard work and dedication of the senior class" said Natalie Pohlmann '04 Imborek, Campus Minister/Religion and Psychology teacher. "I am proud of their willingness and enthusiasm to serve others and raise money for their school."
Class of 1988 Donates New Chapel Windows
The Class of 1988 celebrated their 25-year reunion over the July 4th weekend with reunion festivities that included events at Van’s on Friday night and a formal on Saturday night at the RME Redstone Room.
A Sunday morning Mass at Christ the King Chapel at St. Ambrose University was held in memory of deceased classmates Megan Gallagher, Kris Mann, Paul Jansen and Tom Grady.
The Class of '88 donated funds from the reunion weekend to restore the stained glass windows in the chapel at Assumption, along with a plaque that will honor the memory of the aforementioned deceased. Thank you to all for making the weekend a fun success!
Flynn Named Wendy's High School Heisman Winner
Senior volleyball and soccer standout Lexi Flynn was recently announced as Iowa’s 2013 Wendy’s Heisman High School winner. ACT, Inc., a leader in the educational testing and services field, scores applicants and determines School Winners, State Finalists, and eventually, State Winners. Students are judged on academic achievements, athletic accomplishments, community leadership, and involvement in various extracurricular activities during grades 9 through 11. Congratulations to Lexi on this outstanding achievement!
Fine Arts News
Assumption Knight Players Present Children of Eden
The Assumption Knight Players are busy rehearsing for this year’s spring musical, Children of Eden, a retelling of the Old Testament stories of Adam and Eve and Noah’s Ark. The familiar stories, which center on the concepts of family, love, loss, and free will, come alive on the stage thanks to music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz, the composer behind Wicked and Godspell.
Performances will be held on Friday, March 7 and Saturday, March 8, at 7 p.m., and March 9 at 2 p.m. Reserved seating ($10 for adults and $8 for students/seniors) will be available online at www.assumptionhigh.org from Feb. 1 through March 5, and may also be purchased at the door.
Watch the 2013 Winter Band and Choir Concert on YouTube
Watch the 2013 Winter Band and Choir Concert by clicking here or on the image above.
Two Students Named to Honor Band
Sophomores Tyler Zeimet and Maddy Kroeger were named to the Southeast Iowa Bandmasters Association Honor Band. Tyler also won the title of first chair clarinet in the SEIBA Honor Band. The SEIBA Honor Band will perform on Saturday, January 25, in Iowa City under the direction of Dr. Richard Fischer of Concordia University, Chicago.
Assumption Makes Move to Class 3A Football
In a move that has been several years in the making, it was recently announced that Assumption will be moving to Class 3A for football beginning with the 2014 season. This means that the Knights will now face schools with similar sized enrollments.
Gone also are the days of conference football in Iowa, as athletic directors across the state voted to dissolve conference affiliations (for football only) in favor of a district football concept. Despite the move, Assumption hopes to retain a few local rivalries. The Knights will learn their 2014 district assignment and schedule in the coming weeks.
"Change is difficult," Assumption Athletic Director and Head Football Coach Wade King said. "It has been a long process, but we're very grateful for the support and consideration the other MAC schools have given us."
"There are going to be some changes in who we play, but I hope it doesn't change how we play," King said. "We've adopted a set of standards here for our coaches, players and community to live up to. That isn't going to change." Read more here.
2013 Fall Sports Recap
The 2013 fall sports season was another successful one for the Knights on the court, on the turf, and on the cross country course.
The Girls Cross Country Team ran their way to a third place finish at the 2013 Iowa Class 3A State Championships in Fort Dodge behind a runner-up finish by freshman Joy Ripslinger. Ripslinger finished just 1.5 seconds behind the state champion from Pella, while senior Beth Mallon came in 17th overall. Sophomore Mallory King, who won the district championship a week earlier in Solon, came in 28th.
The volleyball team built on the success of the 2012 season by qualifying for their second consecutive Iowa Class 4A State Tournament and winning the first state tournament match in school history with a thrilling 3-2 win over West Delaware. Senior Danielle Cabel was named to the All-Tournament team and garnered First Team All-State honors for the second consecutive season. The Ohio University commit will leave Assumption as the most decorated volleyball player in school history. Fellow senior Lexi Flynn set a new Iowa Class 4A State Tournament record with 41 digs against West Delaware, and will continue her career at Division I Coastal Carolina.
The football team enjoyed another outstanding season, as the Knights won a First Round playoff game (35-0 over Davenport Central) for the first time since 2005 and finished with an overall record of 9-2. The season had many highlights, including a third consecutive win over rival Bettendorf (9-3).
The Knights were led by Elite All-State performer Jake Gervase who was also named the MAC Offensive and Co-Defensive Player of the Year, as well as Captain of the All-Metro Team by the Quad-City Times. Senior linebacker Zach Adrian also earned All-State recognition, and 18 players earned All-Conference honors. Head Coach and Athletic Director Wade King was voted the 2013 MAC Coach of the Year by his peers, and the sophomore team went undefeated (8-0-1) en route to tying with Bettendorf for the league title.
Finally, the Knight Kompany Dancers captured another state title by winning the Lyrical category at the 2014 ISDTA State Championships. In addition, senior Emma Bassier took home first place honors against more than 85 dancers in the Class III Division at the ISDTA State Solo Competition, becoming only the second KKD dancer to earn a 1st place individual award.
Watch KKD's state routines on our Facebook page, here.
Two New Coaches Join Staff
The Athletic Department recently announced the hiring of new coaches for the girls soccer and girls tennis programs.
Jonathan Dreasler, an assistant with the girls soccer program for the last six seasons will assume the position of Head Coach, while Jason Ehrhardt will lead the girls tennis team. Ehrhardt comes to Assumption following a successful collegiate career at Buena Vista University in Storm Lake.
• Cindy Hughes '95 Anliker of Des Moines Performing Arts was named to the 15th annual list of "Forty Under 40" honorees for the state of Iowa by the Business Record. Anliker will be profiled in the March 7 edition of the Business Record and recognized at an event on March 11. Read more here.
• Molly Haut '11 had her "Dream Work" art on display at the ninth annual Emerging Artist Exhibition at the morphoGallery in Chicago. Read more here.
• Willie Argo ’08 was named MVP of the 2013 season by the Port Charlotte Stone Crabs, the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays Major League Baseball team.
• Jason Tanamor ’93 recently published a novel titled “The Extraordinary Life of Shady Gray”. For more information visit: http://www.tanamor.com/
• Joe Ewen ‘03 was named head boys basketball coach at Davenport North High School.
• Pete Bush ’79, head wrestling coach at Assumption, will be inducted into the Glen Brand Wrestling Hall of Fame in June.
• Taylor Bruns ’13 received a scholarship from Naomi Chapter No. 1, Order of Eastern Star.
• Kate Fennelly ’13 received a National Defense Industrial Association Scholarship from the Iowa Illinois chapter of the National Defense Industrial Association and the Iowa Illinois chapter of Women in Defense.
• J.T. Vonderhaar ’11, a junior at Coe College, received the Sachem Outstanding Male Undergraduate Award, which goes to a sophomore man who exemplifies the qualities of sportsmanship, service, leadership and scholarship.
• Brunson Grothus '04 won the American Drag Racing League World Finals IX in October in Baytown, Texas.
• Sydney Lunardi '13, a goalkeeper at Central College, was named First Team All-Iowa Conference.
• Hailey Schneden ’13, a member of the women’s basketball team at the University of Iowa, was awarded an athletic scholarship for the spring 2014 semester.
• Ryan Langford ‘11 accepted a football scholarship to the University of New Mexico.
• Landon Williams '10, a senior wrestler at Wartburg College, was named Iowa Conference Athlete of the Week for the week ending Dec. 22, 2013.
• Derek Fulton ‘12 quarterbacked Grand View University to the 2013 NAIA National Championship.
Marriages & Engagements
• Angie Guy was married to Sean Stender on October 6, 2012.
• Mark Jansen ’90 is engaged to Shannon Wright. The couple plans to wed in July 2014.
• Kathleen Schneider ’93 was married to Chris DeRosier on November 23, 2013, at St. Sebastian Catholic Church in Milwaukee.
• Leslie Eggers '04 is engaged to Mike Wells. The couple plans to wed in June 2014.
• Kelsey Creen '06 is engaged to Brandon Oldaker. The couple plans to wed in June 2014.
• John C. Blough ’10 is engaged to Chelsey Semprini. The couple plans to wed in July 2014.
• Thomas A. Mason III ’61 passed away on May 25, 2012.
• Evelyn Panther ‘62 Renz passed away on June 25, 2013.
• Thomas M. McGivern ’65 passed away on August 29, 2013.
• Thomas K. Evans ’73 passed away on Nov. 18, 2013.
• Thomas J. Duffy, Jr.’42 passed away on Nov. 22, 2013.
• Dave Hansen, a former assistant girls basketball coach at Assumption passed away on Dec. 5, 2013.
• Les Jonas, a former English teacher and coach at Assumption, passed away on Dec. 23, 2013.
• Bradley V. Verdon ‘87 passed away on Dec. 27, 2013.
If there is news that you would like to see appear in the next newsletter, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Class of 1984: August 29-30
Contact: Julie Fitzpatrick (email@example.com)
Class of 1974: August 2
Contact: Dave Bush (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Class of 1969: August 8-9
Contacts: Patty (Klee) Schmitt (email@example.com)
Mark Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Class of 1964: September 25-27
Contact: Judy McNamara-Petkunas (email@example.com)
If you are interested in planning for your class reunion, or know of someone else who might be, please contact Jordan Gizzarelli at 563-326-5313 x 242 for more information.