3. McDonald's copycat menu items get leaked
"They're light and crunchy on the outside... and soft and warm on the inside." McDonald's leaked internal memos reveal it's whipping out cinnamon-sugared "Donut Sticks" in 2019. Sounds/looks/tastes/feels/smells a lot like Dunkin's recently concocted "Donut Fries". And there's a reason for that.
Ronald now wakes up with 700 calories of hash browns... McD's is tripling down on breakfast like never before -- Donut Sticks are just the 2nd new breakfast menu item in the past decade. And it's all-day breakfast menu is just over 2 years old. It's because customers love that. Just one catch*
- *McDonald's franchise owners hate it -- Your Egg McMuffin is less profitable than a Big Mac.
The Takeaway: Breakfast is the most competitive meal of the day... Fast food already owns lunch, dinner, late-night, and extra-late-night in most of the country. But breakfast is its trans-fat infused Holy Grail. So McD's is cooking up more because so is the competition:
- Starbucks: Chicken Sausage Biscuits
- Dunkin': Wake-Up Wrap
- Taco Bell: Breakfast Quesadilla
- Burger King: French Toast Sticks
- Chick-Fil-A: Chicken Egg Bagel
- Chipotle: Breakfast burritos coming soon