Start Your Desert Garden Today. It's a Rewarding Adventure!
A few must do steps…
- What's your passion? Create a vision, a plan. Where do you want to begin: back or front yard? Vegetable garden? A few pots? The possibilities are endless. Take a search on the web. There are millions of pictures to open your mind to great ideas. Try www.houzz.com
- Clean Up: no one likes it, but has to be done. Often the worst task, but you can't start gardening until you've cleared space and weeds. Think of it as creating a blank slate like a work of art. This should include pruning, weeding and raking at minimum.
- No matter the species, anything in the desert will eventually need water, so it's imperative for you to make sure your irrigation is working properly. New plants need water, especially in Tucson's heat, and they'll need it almost every day for the first few weeks. Make sure your irrigation is operating before you begin any planting. If you need experts for this task, consider hiring the Sonoran Gardens' irrigation team.
- Understand your climate. Tucson has a unique climate that can vary drastically depending on the area you live in (higher elevations, areas near washes, urban, rural, etc.). so it's best to consult with a professional or by finding articles on the web. Here's a good article to get started: http://tucsoncitizen.com/view-from-baja-arizona/2010/06/11/diversity-of-climate-is-one-of-the-many-special-things-about-tucson/
- Assess your environment: understand sun exposure, type of soil, amount of water. Soil conditions can be a real issue in Tucson and can cause big setbacks when we go about actually digging. Again, our staff can help you, so please feel free to give us a call.
- Determine your style. Do you want native designs and plant species with xeriscaping or hold fast to traditional landscaping? Believe it or not with a little tlc, and water, traditional landscaping can be achieved in Tucson. With water being a precious resource we do not encourage this. Our staff at Sonoran Gardens would be more than happy to consult with you on the style that is just right for you.
- Take a trip to a local nursery. Some can be huge and daunting, but be patient, asks lots of questions and you'll find the plants that are just right for you and your outdoor spaces.
- Make sure you have all of the right planting tools, sunscreen and a nice shady hat. If you've got kid's, planting a garden is a fantastic bonding and learning opportunity.
- Create a sitting area close by, put a table by your side to hold your favorite beverage and the sit back and enjoy your work of art!
Remember, if starting a new desert garden area seems like a tough task, which it can be, the landscape design and installation specialists at Sonoran Gardens are here to help. Just give us a call today at 520-579-9411.