New Creative Writing Course:
The Storyteller's Eye
A Six-Exercise Guided Mentorship with Matthew Arkin
As we've moved steadily in the direction of mentoring writers and teaching them how to improve their craft, we've noticed a need to teach specific skills. Matthew Arkin's new course for My Two Cents, The Storyteller's Eye, guides writers through a series of exercises that are designed to evoke vivid imagery and active characterization in the pursuit of the “vivid and continuous dream” that is the hallmark of great fiction.
This self-paced online course explores six exercises and is available to new and experienced writers alike. Matthew will provide in-depth notes on each submission, helping students understand how their decisions about imagery, description, characterization, tone, theme, and more affect the reader. The course concludes with a one-hour phone or Skype consultation.
- The Image as Inspiration. Creating moments your readers can see.
- The Living Character: Creating a character that lives and breathes far beyond the boundaries of the page.
- The Character in Need: Creating desire and compelling pursuit.
- The Story Beneath the Story: Developing subtext in dialogue and deed.
- The Turning Point: Crafting decisive moments in your stories.
- The Resonant Ending: Using three-act structure to evoke surprise and satisfaction in your readers.