2015 Adult Pilgrimage to England:
- For adults, on Sunday, June 1 at 9:30 a.m. in the Parish Hall, Father Murdock Smith (our Assisting Priest) will lead a discussion on the meaning of Biblical Marriage. The discussion and debate will look at various Biblical perspectives on marriage.
- Concluding on June 1 at 9:30 a.m. in the Tower Room is the two-part series "Anglican Identity in a Pluralist World" with The Rev. Joslyn Ogden Schaefer, Associate Rector. The group will discuss how Anglicans view people of other faith traditions, what distinctive emphases we bring to inter-faith conversations as well as ecumenical discussions among fellow Christians.
- To celebrate the beginning of the season of Pentecost, when the Church was birthed, all ages will gather in the Parish Hall on June 8 at 9:30 a.m. for a Parish-Wide Pentecost Celebration. We will have a special commissioning for those being sent on various mission and educational trips this summer; prayers for safe summer travel for all of us; and a slide show featuring pictures from our Parish life together over the last year. Around 9:50 a.m., Catechesis of the Good Shepherd and Journey to Adulthood classes will be dismissed from the Parish Hall to go their final classes for the program year. Adults will remain in the Parish Hall to engage in a listening session reflecting on Formation offerings over the past year and our hopes for the year to come.
- Our evolving 20s & 30s Fellowship is joining Father Murdock Smith and friends for the Sunday or Monday Bible series (see above). Attendees are certain to find new relationships, enriching discussion, and a cup of coffee.
- Children and Youth Classes continue in various settings throughout the Parish House. Our Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS) and Journey to Adulthood (J2A) programs for children and youth are nationally recognized and powerful ways to explore God.
Informational Meeting, June 4. Because enough adults have expressed an interest in an adult pilgrimage to Salisbury, England from July 16 until July 25, 2015, Father Ollie Rencher and Choir School leaders Ben Outen and Kay Johnson will host an informational meeting on Wednesday, June 4 at 5:30 p.m. in the Parlor. E-mail Father Ollie Rencher
if you will attend the meeting. If you are interested in joining the journey abroad to be led by Father Rencher, this meeting is for you! The pilgrimage is in collaboration with the summer tour of the Choir School at St. Peter’s. Airfare, lodging, and meals would cost approximately $4,000 per adult.
Vacation Bible School
. St. Peter's will host a Holy Pilgrimage Vacation Bible School Aug. 4-8 from 8:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. This year, youth and adults are invited to participate in this holy journey where pilgrims will discover God’s Kingdom in England, Italy, Spain, Ireland, Scotland, within themselves and in each other. Register online at http://web.st-peters.org/register-for-vacation-bible-school/
For more information contact Director of Children's Formation Laurie Burlington at email@example.com
May Prayer Embrace Us During Life’s Challenges.
Starting on Tuesday, June 3, parishioner Linda Smith will introduce a prayer shawl knitting ministry to life at St. Peter’s. This ministry is open to skilled and novice knitters as well as those with an interest in knitting. Prayer shawls are created to be tangible expressions of our prayers for those who receive them. This group intends to meet on the first Tuesday of the month from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m. in the Parlor. Contact Linda Smith (lvsmithNC@gmail.com
Parish-Wide Pentecost Celebration.
To celebrate the beginning of the season of Pentecost, when the Church was birthed, all ages will gather in the Parish Hall on June 8 at 9:30 a.m. for a Parish-Wide Pentecost Celebration. We will have a special commissioning for those being sent on various mission and educational trips this summer; prayers for safe summer travel for all of us; and a slide show featuring pictures from our Parish life together over the last year. Around 9:50 a.m., Catechesis of the Good Shepherd and Journey to Adulthood classes will be dismissed from the Parish Hall to go their final classes for the program year. Adults will remain in the Parish Hall to engage in a listening session reflecting on Formation offerings over the past year and our hopes for the year to come.
Reconciliation Movie Series on Summertime Sundays.
St. Peters Episcopal Church will hold a Summer Documentary Movie Series followed by a facilitated discussion with various community leaders. This series is free and open to the public. Refreshments and nursery will be available, and the discussion with wrap up before the 6:15 p.m. Sunday Service. The first film is Babies
and will be shown on June 15 at 4:00 p.m. in the Parish Hall. The movie follows the lives of four babies around the world from birth to first steps. The children are, in order of on-screen introduction: Ponijao, who lives with her family near Opuwo, Namibia; Bayarjargal, who resides with his family in Mongolia, near Bayanchandmani; Mari, who lives with her family in Tokyo, Japan; and Hattie, who resides with her family in San Francisco, California. RSVP online http://web.st-peters.org/rsvp-for-reconciliation-movie-series/
or to Cathy Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org
The 20s/30s Fellowship
will host several events this summer. On June 8, The Reverend and Mrs. Ollie V. Rencher will host a barbecue at their home from 5:00 to 8:00 pm. All attendees are asked to bring a side dish, beverage of choice and should RSVP with The Reverend Joslyn Ogden Schaefer, email@example.com
. The group will have its Third Sunday at Rock Bottom on June 22 right after the evening service, typically at 7:15. Lastly, the group will gather on June 29 for the Summer Pops series at Symphony Park, 4400 Sharon Road, at 5 p.m. RSVP for this event with Cathy and Micah Morrison at firstname.lastname@example.org
June Lunch for the Senior Class (55+ fellowship group)
will be at Portofino’s on Tuesday, June 17 at 11:30 a.m. The restaurant is at 5126 Park Road. Reservations are not required. Contact Mary Griffin (704-364-5268) or Hannah Craighill (704-334-6276) for more information.
Episcopal Church Women (ECW) host a Special Program on Thursday, May 29: At 10:30 a.m.
in the Parlor, all women are invited for a special presentation, "Eat Well, Be Well." Sisters Carolyn Hallett and Adri Warrick, creators of The Whole Tulip website (www.thewholetulip.com
), are committed to helping others find the freedom, joy, and happiness they have found through a life of eating and living well. After the presentation at 11:45 a.m., those who are able will gather for lunch across the street at Rock Bottom Brewery. Consider bringing $10-$15 to provide guest speakers with an honorarium for the generosity of their time. Contact Millicent Veltman email@example.com
The Journey to Adulthood (J2A) Class Urban Adventure
will be Wednesday, June 11 through Friday, June 13. The class will go to Washington, D.C., and put their “self” skills to use. To sign up for the trip, or for more information about J2A, contact Director of Youth Formation Lyn Holt (firstname.lastname@example.org
The J2A Rising Pilgrims
will have a Lobster Dinner and Silent Auction celebrating the feast day of Saints Peter and Paul on Sunday, June 29 from 7:00 to 10:00 p.m. in the Parish Hall. The event is a pilgrimage fundraiser for J2A and costs $35 for adults and $20 for teens and $5 for ages 10 and younger (a dinner of chicken nuggets will be offered for children). For more information or to RSVP this event, contact Director of Youth Formation Lyn Holt (email@example.com
Parish Retreat Weekend at Kanuga returns September 12-14.
We are planning to retreat at Kanuga Conference Center (http://www.kanuga.org)
near Asheville from suppertime on Friday, September 12 until lunchtime on Sunday, September 14. Cost of this all-inclusive getaway time is $175.00 (adults), $95 (youth 10-18 years), $56.00 (children 5-9 years) and free for children under 5. Lodging, meals, activities for all ages, worship, special music and more are included in the cost. Click here (http://web.st-peters.org/parish-retreat-weekend-at-kanuga-returns/)
to let us know if you either might or will attend. Stay tuned for date when payment will be required to reserve your space.