Issue 7: 2015
Topics covered in this issue
1. 2014 IN REVIEW - OUR REACH AND IMPACT
Thank you to everyone who was part of our Kidney Cancer Canada family this year! We continue to grow and make a difference in the lives of people affected by kidney cancer because of you. Some highlights from 2014 include:
- Over 200 people being supported through patient education events and peer support.
- Over 20,000 people accessed our website for information and support.
- 2,100 people viewed our ‘Ask the Expert’ videos available in English and French.
- Led the development of the CanCertainty coalition, advocating for equity between oral and IV cancer drugs. The coalition has grown to include 35 cancer charities working together on this important treatment access issue.
- Provided support to the Kidney Cancer Research Network of Canada, including sponsoring a research trainee and the JLA research prioritization project.
2. RESEARCH CAMPAIGN RESULTS
In December we reached out to you with an opportunity from the Warren Y Soper Foundation to have your research donations matched. Thanks to your generosity, we were able to turn your donations of $14,750 into $29,500 for essential kidney cancer research! It’s not too late to double your donation. The Warren Y Soper Foundation will continue to match donations until we reach our goal of $40,000!
Click here to donate now.
3. MEET OUR NEW EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
We are pleased to welcome Heather Chappell on board as our new Executive Director. Heather comes to us with a broad background in healthcare and a decade of experience working in the charitable sector focussing on cancer. Since joining us in November she has jumped right in, actively working alongside our Board of Directors to help us continue supporting Canadians affected by kidney cancer.
4. VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
Volunteers are so important to the work we do, whether it is sharing your experience as a patient/caregiver, increasing awareness of the disease or helping to raise much needed funds. Even if you only have a few hours to spare at an event we want to hear from you! If you or anyone you know are interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We are actively recruiting in the following areas:
- Patient education and support
- Volunteer coordination
- Event planning
- Support at events
- April 11 in Calgary, Annual Patient Conference
- June 7 in Toronto, Kick It Up
5. UPCOMING EVENTS
Patient Education Conference
Our annual patient education conference is being held on April 11 from 9am-4:30pm in Calgary. Everyone is welcome! We have a great line-up of experts presenting on a range of topics from advances in treatments to nutrition to coping strategies. Click here for more information and to register.
Kick It Up Save the date!
Kick It Up is returning for the 3rd year to Toronto at Varsity Stadium on Sunday June 7th. Jully Black and our dream team of fitness trainers are back for this great awareness and fundraising event. Start putting your team together now for a day of fitness and fun! More details to follow shortly.
Kidney Cancer Canada is a charitable patient-led support organization established to improve the quality of life for patients and their families living with kidney cancer. Kidney Cancer Canada advocates for access to new treatments, provides support and information to patients, funds much-needed research, and works to increase awareness of kidney cancer as a significant health issue. Our goal is to help patients navigate through information about their disease and ensure they have access to new treatment options available to them.