November 16th, 2020
Dear Valued Member of Cape Breton Ski Club,
We are excited for the upcoming 53rd season here at Ski Ben Eoin. We know that last season ended abruptly due to the first wave of COVID-19.
We know many of you are very anxious to hear more about the 2020/2021 ski season. COVID-19 has presented challenges around the world and our Ski Hill is no exception. We will be keeping you well informed of our plans as we get closer and closer to opening day.
Ski Ben Eoin Director of Operations Darcy MacDonald has been working closely with the Ski Hill Community in Nova Scotia. Following a week long session at Ski Martock in September, the four Nova Scotia Ski Hills have been developing a very detailed plan on how ski hills will operate safely during the on-going pandemic. Topics of conversation included social distancing, ticket areas, rental areas, food service and cleaning. They have been working with Nova Scotia Department of Labour & Advanced Education who have provided direction on this plan and will present to Public Health for approval. These discussions are still under way. Once this plan is approved, we will be sure to share more with you.
Many of you have asked about our annual AGM and why the meeting has not taken place. Due to the lock down earlier in the year and the restrictions regarding meetings, our June meeting had to be postponed. Nova Scotia is still under a state of emergency, we do not have to hold our AGM until 90 days after this is lifted. Another challenge has been the return of our financials from our external accountants. Like many businesses, they too were affected by COVID-19 and are working to clear a back log which, in turn, has delayed our approved financials. Please be assured that we have been in contact with our external accountants and they are aware that we are waiting for the final approvals. We have been in touch with Joint stocks and they are aware of our situation. As soon as the board of directors confirms a date and ensures that an AGM can be held safely, we will let you know two weeks in advance of the meeting.
Fundraising has been and will continue to be a challenge with COVID-19. The fundraising committee had events planned at the end of last season and throughout the summer, all of which we were unable to hold. We had also planned to continue our weekly Snow Bucks lottery. When the pandemic hit in March, the committee decided to postpone the draw until it could be resumed safely. In the coming weeks we hope to start Snow Bucks up again starting off where we left off! Please rest assured that all monies collected, thus far, have been placed aside and your number will be played for the number of weeks remaining that you have paid. Tickets numbers will resume when the hill re-opens. The jackpot starting back is estimated to be over $700!
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you, our ski community, for your patience and understanding during these unprecedented times. As the weeks draw closer, we will continue to send out updates to keep up all informed.