Today is National Heat Awareness Day! We wanted to take this chance to remind you how to protect your dog when the weather heats up.
Here are 6 tips to keep your dog safe this summer:
1. Keep your dog well hydrated.
2. Make sure they have plenty of shade to play in.
3. Never leave your dog in the car, not even with the window cracked.
4. Limit your dog’s exercise. Don’t let them overexert themselves in the heat.
5. Check the asphalt before walking. If it’s too hot for bare feet, then it’s too hot for their paws. Early morning or late evening walks work best. You can also purchase booties to protect their paws.
6.MOST IMPORTANTLY - Watch for signs of Heat Stroke. Please seek veterinary attention immediately if you notice your dog is excessively panting, having mobility problems, or has discolored gums.