Copy
News and views from Feminist Webs
View this email in your browser
A teacher face painted as a rabbit

Youth worker move online

Feminist Webs Newsletter - April 2020


Whatever April's newsletter was going to focus on, it has changed. As youth workers, we're now offering virtual youth groups, we have a new language of social isolating and distancing and our technological capacity is greatly increased as we use zoom and google hangouts and Whatsapp to deliver sessions and one to ones. There is no getting away from Covid-19 and the impact that it is having on our lives and the lives of young women we support. This issue we look at some of what that impact looks like. 

Covid - 19 - An opportunity for change? 

People across the country are being paid 80% of their salary. For 51% of us this is the norm, but the other 49% now find themselves in the same situation. Covid -19 does not affect all people equally. Many of the roles which the government previously deemed ‘unskilled’ are now essential workers and very much valued. Many of these roles have high proportions of women and BAME people in them. People fulfilling essential worker roles are at higher risk of contracting the virus due to exposure. On top of these, we know women will still be picking up the bulk of the household chores and looking after children and elderly relatives. What will the long term impacts on women be? 

In amongst all of this, there is something else happening. Our work life balance is being challenged; Covid-19 is an eye opener. Heterosexual families where both parents are working are having to learn how to share childcare. Many people are experiencing looking after their children either full or part time for the first time.Teachers and youth workers are Superheros. Workplaces are learning to be more flexible than they ever previously admitted was possible both in terms of childcare and the support they provide to disabled people. Will this continue? We have a live case study to push forward our agenda.

We cannot yet tell what the long-term impact on women will be, but what we do know is how it is changing the lives of women of all ages through out it.

We’d love to hear your stories. Get in touch feministwebs@yahoo.co.uk

Resources to help your planning


Now is a great time to take a look at our resources section to support with your planning of sessions. There are some great resources including quizzes and information sheets which are easily adaptable to online sessions. We'd love to hear what you are doing to support groups through the pandemic. Let us know @FeministWebs
Young Women's Trust are asking us to make #YoungWomenCount
Click here to find out how

Do you have something to say or share?


If you have something to say, an event coming up or want to share something with other feminist youth workers, get in touch feministwebs@yahoo.co.uk 
Deadline for May issue: 28th April 2020.
 
Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list






This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
Feminist Webs · manchester · 41 old birley st · Manchester, manchester m155re · United Kingdom

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp