COVID vaccination provider bulletin 13 Sept
Moderna bivalent Original/Omicron vaccine
ATAGI have recommended that the Moderna bivalent vaccine can be used as an alternative vaccine for any booster dose in people aged 18 years or older, according to the current recommendations for booster doses. No other changes have been made to booster recommendations.
The Australian Government will include Moderna bivalent in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program from 10 October.
Co-administration of Moderna bivalent vaccine with other non-COVID vaccines is acceptable, as per current ATAGI clinical guidance. It is NOT recommended as a primary course of vaccination or as a booster for people under 18 years.
- All sites currently participating in the COVID-19 Vaccine Program will be onboarded for Moderna bivalent in tranches. Murray PHN will advise you of your tranche as soon as we have that information.
- All sites will receive an ongoing allocation of 100 doses.
- If an order is not placed within eight weeks, the site will be deactivated for Moderna bivalent
- CVAS will list the vaccine as ‘Moderna bivalent 18+ blue/green’
Cold Chain Breach (CCB) process
If your vaccines have been involved in a CCB, these are the steps to follow:
Further detail is provided in the bulletin.
- Place affected vaccines in quarantine within the appropriate cold chain storage requirements
- Mark stock as ‘Do not use. Do not discard.’
- Report potential CCB to the VOC on 1800 318 208*
- Wait for the outcome of assessment and advice on whether the vaccines are safe to use.
*Outside of VOC operating hours, email the required information to email@example.com for assessment during business hours.
The TGA have approved shelf-life (manufacturer expiry) extensions for the vaccines listed below, provided that approved storage conditions have been maintained. Please be aware that the packaging associated with the listed batches has not been amended to reflect the extended expiry dates. Please update the expiry date on any vials you have on site.
Extension for Pfizer 12 years+ (Purple) vaccine from 12 months to 15 months from the manufacture date for these batches. These vaccines can be administered until the use-by date (earliest of manufacturer expiry and thawed use-by). The new manufacture expiry date of each batch will also be shown in CVAS when completing delivery acceptance.
Extension for AstraZeneca vaccine from 6 months to 9 months from manufacture date. This applies to all future batches and those listed here.
Moderna 6 months to 5 years
The Department of Health and Aged Care may reach out to additional providers to participate in the roll-out of Moderna 6 months if there is demand. If you are receiving multiple calls and believe you would be able to vaccinate this cohort, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sites are reminded that when cancelling a vaccine order in CVAS, the corresponding consumable order should also be cancelled.
A new Monkeypox pathway has recently been localised to the Murray PHN region and is now available.