The Staff Recognition Committee and the President’s Cabinet encourage all USJ community members to submit nominations for the annual President’s Recognition Award for Inspiring Staff Excellence (PRAISE) and for Random Acts of Mercy recognition. Click for link to the PRAISE award nomination form. Forms are also available on MyUSJ / Employee / Human Resources & Payroll / Documents & Forms.
PRESIDENT’S RECOGNITION AWARD for INSPIRING STAFF EXCELLENCE (PRAISE)
Individual and Team PRAISE awards for 2022-23 will be selected in April and announced at the Community Forum, scheduled for May 9, 2022. Nominations can be submitted at any time, but must be received no later than March 30, 2023.
To recognize an individual staff member and a team who have performed above and beyond expectations, and who have made an extraordinary contribution to University of Saint Joseph during the past year.
Eligibility – Individual Award
- Staff employed at least 20 hours per week and 10 months per calendar year (“benefits-eligible”) and who have been employed at least one year.
- The following staff are not eligible for the Staff Recognition Award. Nominations for people in these categories will be accepted and filed in the employee’s personnel file, but the nomination will not be placed in the selection pool.
- Directors (grade 40) and above;
- Any employee who has won the PRAISE award within the past 5 years.
- Faculty are not eligible for the PRAISE award; to nominate a faculty member for the Reverend John J Stack Teaching Excellence Award, please refer to the email sent by Verona Jones on January 31, 2023 (attached).
Eligibility – Team Award
Definition of “Team” for the purposes of PRAISE:
- A group of people working together toward a common goal on behalf of the University
- A department or a team comprising members of multiple departments
- 3 to 15 members
- Team must include a minimum of two staff employees; it may also include faculty and students
- All staff, faculty and students (undergraduate and graduate) are invited to nominate individuals and/or teams.
- The PRAISE nomination forms is attached; paper copies will be made available to departments with limited computer access.
- No one may nominate him/herself for an individual award. An individual may nominate a team of which s/he is a member, but must then abstain from voting in the team category.
- Nominations should be submitted electronically to email@example.com. For people without electronic access, paper nominations can be submitted to HR.
RANDOM ACTS OF MERCY
Random Acts of Mercy employee appreciation recognition write-ups can be submitted at any time and are posted on MyUSJ on an ongoing basis.
The Staff Recognition Committee and the President’s Cabinet are pleased to sponsor a Random Acts of Mercy Employee Appreciation “Wall” on the Employee tab of MyUSJ. The Random Acts of Mercy Employee Appreciation Wall is an opportunity to contribute to a culture of positivity and raise awareness about the good work being done on a daily basis throughout the USJ community.
Any USJ employee (staff or faculty) who has contributed to a positive, constructive work and/or educational environment at the University is eligible for inclusion on the Random Acts of Mercy Employee Appreciation Wall. No random act of mercy or other kindness is too small for the wall!
- Nominations should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Nominations may be submitted on the Random Acts of Mercy nomination form, available on MyUSJ, or simply by an email with the subject line “Random Acts of Mercy.”
- For people without electronic access, paper nominations can be submitted to HR. The Random Acts of Mercy nomination form is available on MyUSJ.
- When possible, the nomination should reference the specific aspects of the USJ Mission and/or Values that are embodied by the nominee’s actions. The Mission Statement and Mercy Values are listed at the end of this document.
- Human Resources will review all nominations and post all submissions.
- New submissions will be posted on at least a bi-weekly basis.
- HR reserves the right to edit submissions for space (and spelling!) prior to posting.
- Postings may be removed periodically for space reasons, but not before they have been posted for at least three months.
- Random Acts of Mercy recipients will receive a voucher for one lunch at the McGovern Dining Commons.
- All employees are encouraged to check the Random Acts of Mercy Employee Appreciation Wall frequently!
UNIVERSITY OF SAINT JOSEPH MISSION & VALUES
The University of Saint Joseph, founded by the Sisters of Mercy in the Roman Catholic tradition, provides a rigorous liberal arts and professional education for a diverse student population in an inclusive environment that encourages strong ethical values, personal integrity, and a sense of responsibility to the needs of society.
o Catholic Identity: University of Saint Joseph is grounded in its heritage as a Catholic institution, expressing the Catholic tradition in an ecumenical and critical manner.
o Development of the Whole Person: University of Saint Joseph encourages, inspires, and challenges all students to fully develop their intellectual, spiritual, social, emotional, physical, and leadership potential.
o Compassionate Service: University of Saint Joseph promotes, supports and facilitates caring service as an integral part of all teaching and learning experiences.
o Academic Excellence: University of Saint Joseph provides a value-centered education that prepares students as global citizens, lifelong learners, and informed decision makers.
o Respect/Integrity: University of Saint Joseph demonstrates respect and reverence for all people and fidelity in personal witness.
o Hospitality: University of Saint Joseph is a welcoming community where its relationships are based on openness, inclusivity and mutual respect.
o Multiculturalism/Diversity: University of Saint Joseph is committed to fostering the growth of an inclusive community that welcomes differences among community members and benefits from them.