Over the early part of the season we have received numerous reports of clubs cancelling fixtures for some fairly dubious reasons which is creating a lot of wasted time and frustration for the cancelled on clubs. We are the only league which permits this kind of re-arrangement so as to get more cricket played, but it is becoming clear that this flexibility is being abused.
The problem is such that it requires immediate action, and having discussed the situation with Surrey, we have decided that there is no alternative but to institute a new procedure for cancellations for reasons other than the weather or pitch conditions, with immediate effect for all games from 12th May onwards. To this end, from today, the procedure will be as follows:
- If a team wishes to cancel a match for a reason other than the weather or pitch conditions, it should first notify the opposing team. If the opposing team is willing to re-arrange the match (which we would expect in practice it often will be), the match should be re-arranged.
- However, if the opposing team does not wish to re-arrange the match, it is under no obligation to do so unless the cancelling team has obtained approval for the cancellation from the league.
- If no such approval has been obtained, the consequence of cancellation will be a conceded win (worth 6 points) to the cancelled on team and a deduction of 6 points for the cancelling team.
- Any application for approval for a cancellation must be made by the cancelling team using the attached form and (save in exceptional circumstances) sent to the league not less than 7 days prior to the game, copying in the opposing team.
- Having considered the reasons given, and any representations from the opposing team, the league will decide whether approval for the cancellation should be given in all the circumstances. In general the league will not give approval for cancellations for reasons other than the weather and pitch conditions save in exceptional circumstances which could not reasonably have been foreseen.
- If the league approves the cancellation, the cancelled on team is under an obligation to offer 3 alternative dates for the match to be played, one of which must he accepted by the cancelling team, in accordance with the existing procedure.