Dear <<First Name>>
You are invited to attend a special Sustainable Consumption Workshop on Food Systems. This will be a virtual event held over two mornings on 11-12 August.
Faith leaders, NGOs representatives, researchers and practitioners will be presenting on current challenges in food production and consumption, and the impacts of industrial agriculture in Southern Africa.
The workshop is scheduled to take place on 11 and 12 August 2021
from 8:30 am to 1:00 pm (SAST) each day.
The exciting lineup of speakers from diverse backgrounds includes:
- Day 1 Keynote speaker - Rev. Emmanuel Chikoya (GS Council of Churches Zambia)
- Day 2 Keynote speaker - Vandana Shiva (Indian scholar, environmental activist, food sovereignty advocate, ecofeminist, and anti-globalization author) TBC
- John Nzira (Ukuvuna Permaculture)
- Dr Tracy Ledger (Public Affairs Research Institute)
- Dr Million Belay (Alliance for Food Sovereignty in Africa)
- Stefanie Swanepoel (African Earth Rights)
- Bern Guri (Center for Indigenous Knowledge and Organisational Development)
By the end of the workshop participants will:
- Be informed about sustainable consumption, food systems and agroecological practices in Southern Africa.
- Be knowledgeable about strategies and practical examples of sustainable food production and consumption in Africa.
- Have tools for monitoring sustainable consumption and production of food in Southern Africa.
- Be aware of the impact of industrial food production on communities and the environment.
This is an invitation-only event. You are welcome to forward this invitation to others from your faith community or organisation that would be interested in this event.
Please confirm participation (and data requests) by 2 August 2021
via the Google Form.
Gabriel S. Manyangadze
Climate Justice Coordinator