In This Week’s Update:
- COVID-19 Updates:
- URMC Launches Hydroxychloroquine Clinical Trials
- Roc Health Data: Regional COVID-19 Data Now Available
- New COVID-19 Funding Opportunities
- Expiring Deadlines for COVID-19 Funding
- Insights to Inspire: Making a Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
- All of Us Research Program Opens Up Data Platform for Beta Testing
- CHeT Talks: Real-World Data Advancing Health Care
- Funding Opportunities
URMC Launches Clinical Trials to Test Hydroxychloroquine in COVID-19 Patients: URMC researchers are joining a pair of national clinical trials this week that will test whether hydroxychloroquine (HCQ), an FDA-approved anti-malarial drug, can keep COVID-19 patients alive and out of the hospital. The two trials, will enroll 20 hospitalized COVID-19 patients at Strong Memorial Hospital and up to 200 people from the greater Rochester region who are diagnosed with COVID-19, but don’t need to be hospitalized. Learn more.
Roc Health Data: Regional COVID-19 Data Now Available: County-level COVID-19 data, including both case and death rates per 100,000 population, are now available at RocHealthData. These data show the variability across our region and across the U.S.
New COVID-19 Funding Opportunities:
Expiring Deadlines for COVID-19 Funding:
- NIH will publish four funding opportunity announcements in early June as part of the Rapid Acceleration of Diagnostics for Underserved Populations initiative, a $500 million initiative to reduce COVID-19 associated morbidity and mortality disparities for vulnerable and underserved populations that are disproportionately affected by COVID-19. Opportunities will include three notices of special interest to solicit community-engaged research to understand COVID-19 disparities and increase access to and effectiveness of diagnostic testing interventions among underserved and vulnerable populations and to understand the social, ethical and behavioral implications of testing in these populations. An RFA to support a Coordination and Data Collection Center will also be announced. Apply by Monday, August 31.
- The NIH Director's Transformative Research Award supports individuals or teams proposing transformative projects that are inherently risky and untested but have the potential to create or overturn fundamental paradigms and may require very large budgets. For both RFAs, apply by Wednesday, September 30.
- Non-COVID-19-related research proposals should apply to funding opportunity announcement RFA-RM-20-013.
- COVID-19-related research proposals should apply to funding opportunity announcement RFA-RM-20-020.
- The NIH Director's Early Independence Award supports outstanding junior scientists with the intellect, scientific creativity, drive, and maturity to bypass the traditional postdoctoral training period to launch independent research careers. For both RFAs, apply by Friday, September 4, 2020.
- Non-COVID-19-related research proposals should apply to funding opportunity announcement RFA-RM-20-014.
- COVID-19-related research proposals should apply to funding opportunity announcement RFA-RM-20-021.
- The Office of Strategic Coordination, which manages the Common Fund, is seeking new, innovative perspectives and approaches to the prevention of, preparation for or response to coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, domestically or internationally. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until Friday, June 19, 2020, 5:00 pm.
- The National Cancer Institute (NCI) is seeking applications for research on COVID-19 and the effects of its causative agent, the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), on cancer and vice versa. Topics of specific interest to NCI include understanding the basic mechanisms of interaction between SARS-CoV-2 and cancer cells, co-morbidities of cancer and SARS-CoV-2 infection (especially in disparately affected patient populations) and the impacts on treatment and clinical outcomes of SARS-CoV-2 infected persons in the context of cancer. Apply by Thursday, June 25, 5:00 pm. Learn more.
Insights to Inspire: Making a Commitment
to Diversity & Inclusion
As a part of the Insights to Inspire 2020 series, the Center for Leading Innovation & Collaboration staff interviewed the program hubs that showed the most improvement in the Careers in Clinical and Translational Research metric, with a specific emphasis on diversity and inclusion. CLIC’s goal in sharing the experience of the successful hubs is to turn their success into actionable intelligence for the entire Consortium. Learn more.
CHeT Talks: Real-World Data
Advancing Health Care
Join innovators at the intersection of health and tech for CHeT Talks, interviews hosted by the University of Rochester’s Center for Health + Technology (CHeT). The next talk topic is Real-World Data Advancing Health Care, presented by Christopher Boone, Ph.D., FACHE, FHIMSS, vice-president and global head of Health Economics and Outcomes Research at Abbvie, and adjunct professor at the New York University's Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service. Register now.
Date: Tuesday, June 9
Time: 12:00 – 1:00 pm
All of Us Research Program Opens Up
Data Platform for Beta Testing
The NIH’s All of Us Research Program is building one of the largest biomedical data resources of its kind to store health data from a diverse cohort of participants. Approved researchers can learn more about the types of data participants are providing and can use the data and tools to conduct studies that may speed up medical breakthroughs.
The All of Us Researcher Workbench, with data from nearly 225,000 participants, is now available for beta testing. Researchers can begin using the initial dataset and tools in studies and provide All of Us with feedback on what worked and what needs improvement. After this beta phase, All of Us will enhance identity verification and will open the platform more broadly.
COVID-19 Funding Opportunities:
Monday, June 8
DOD Peer Reviewed Medical Research Program – Application Deadline
Friday, June 12
CARES Act Grants for Museum and Library Services – Application Deadline
Monday, June 15
Novel, High-Impact Studies Evaluating Health System and Healthcare Professional Responsiveness to COVID-19 – Application Deadline
Tuesday, June 16
National Library of Medicine COVID-19 Funding Opportunity – Application Deadline
Thursday, June 18
MIT Health Security and Pandemics Challenge Solve – Application Deadline
Friday, June 19
Office of Strategic Coordination/Common Fund COVID-19 Funding Opportunity – Application Deadline
Thursday, June 25
National Cancer Institute Funding Opportunity – Application Deadline
Monday, June 29
NIH Partnerships for Countermeasures against Select Pathogens – Application Deadline
Tuesday, June 30
AWS Diagnostic Development Initiative (DDI) – Application Deadline
Wednesday, July 1
NSF Civic Innovation Challenge – Application Deadline
Monday, July 13
Distance Learning and Telemedicine Grants – Application Deadline
Tuesday, July 14
Department of Defense Funding Opportunity: Hearing Restoration – Application Deadline
Monday, August 31
*NEW* Notice of Intent to Publish Funding Opportunity Announcements for the RADx-UP Initiatives – Application Deadline
Tuesday, September 1
PCORI Funding Opportunities
Friday, September 4
*NEW* NIH Director's Early Independence Award – Application Deadline
Wednesday, September 30
Air Force Funding Opportunities for COVID-19 – Application Deadline
*NEW* NIH Director's Transformative Research Award – Application Deadline
Monday, October 5
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute COVID-19 Funding Opportunity – Application Deadline
Thursday, April 15, 2021
NINDS COVID-19 Funding Opportunity – Application Deadline
Wednesday, September 8, 2021
NIH National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Funding Opportunity
Non-COVID-19 Funding Opportunities:
Monday, June 22
Availability of Administrative Supplements to Address Maternal Mortality – Application Deadline
Friday, July 10
NCATS Funding Opportunities – Application Deadline
Friday, July 31
American Psychological Foundation Funding Opportunities – Application Deadline
NIH HEAL Initiative Funding Opportunity – Application Deadline
Tuesday, August 18
Department of Defense Funding Opportunity: Parkinson's Disease Research – Application Deadline
Thursday, September 10
Department of Defense Funding Opportunity: Prostate Cancer Research – Application Deadline
Thursday, October 1
NCATS CTSA Program Administrative Supplement Funding – Application Deadline