As we have witnessed over the past several weeks, President Trump and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) have increased nationwide arrest and detainment efforts of immigrants. UnLocal’s team has been working around the clock to ensure that our clients and community members are provided with reliable information.
What we know about enforcement over the past two weeks:
- More than 40 people in NYC were picked up and detained;
- Concerted raids occurred in 6 other major cities, resulting in nearly 700 arrests; - Two individuals living lawfully in the US with DACA status were detained by ICE. Read the full story HERE;
- President Trump confirmed in a press conference yesterday that he will be issuing a new Executive Order on immigration next week. According to Trump, the new order will be "tailored" to the court ruling by the federal appeals court that blocked his travel ban on seven countries; - When asked about his plans for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), a program implemented during the Obama administration that grants temporary status for undocumented youth who immigrated as minors, President Trump claimed that it was a "very, very difficult subject" for him.
What you can do:
- Sign up to volunteer for UnLocal (details below);
- Allies can register to physically show up in the event of raids here: #HereToStay;
- Visit our new DONATE page to learn about what your support would help us accomplish;
- Most of all, now is the time to organize, organize, organize! Support other progressive grassroots organizations and local protests in pushing back against these harmful policies.
For the next few weeks, we will be sending out regular communications that provide updates on President Trump's Executive Orders. From all of us at UnLocal, we sincerely thank you for your commitment and solidarity. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.