Harmony in the Kitchen
This recipe is from Dan Sigale, a member of the viola section. He's known for hosting wonderful parties at his home.
Winter is a great time for casseroles, and this recipe for layered mexican chicken will definitely both fill you up AND warm you up! I freely admit that this is not my original recipe. Believe it or not, I got it from the Weight Watchers website (www.weightwatchers.com
)--they have a lot of great recipes, most of which hardly taste like you're giving anything up. Enjoy!
Layered Mexican Chicken
Preparation Time: 20 min.
Cooking Time: 30 min.
Level of Difficulty: Moderate
1 spray olive-oil cooking spray
2 lbs. uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast
30 oz. canned black beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups fat-free sour cream
2 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese blend
8 oz. chopped green chilies (two 4-oz. cans)
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. black pepper
12 medium corn tortillas, cut into 2-inch strips
1 cup salsa (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat a lasagna pan with cooking spray.
2) Place chicken in medium saucepan and fill with enough cold water just to cover chicken. Set pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until chicken is cooked through (about 10 minutes). Drain. When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into 1-inch pieces.
3) Transfer chicken to a large bowl and add beans, sour cream, 1 cup of shredded cheese, chilies, cumin and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
4) Arrange half of the tortillas in bottom of prepared lasagna pan, overlapping pieces to cover surface. Top tortillas with half the chicken mixture, layer with remaining tortillas and top with remaining chicken mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cup of cheese.
5) Bake until filling is bubbly and cheese is melted (about 30 minutes). Let stand 5 minutes before slicing into 12 pieces. Serve with salsa on the side, if desired.