If you had asked me a few months ago what message I would be giving to the Chilliwack outdoors community in March, I would have smiled and said that I was looking forward to a bustling shop and that tangible energy that comes from the enthusiasm of our Mt. Waddington’s friends and family as they plan their summer adventures. I would also be getting excited for my own trips into the backcountry, dreaming of the possibilities that come as the snow begins to retreat higher and higher into the alpine, the new trails that I could explore and build, and the days on the local lakes and rivers that would soon be at hand. These are the truly magical experiences that were ahead of us all as we looked forward into the spring from the comfort of our normal lives in one of the best places I could have ever imagined to be able to call my home. Instead of all of that I am adding to what must now have become a constant stream of emails bombarding your inbox with yet another COVID-19 update.
Things are far from normal right now and as we all come to grasp what our current situation looks like, the team at Mt. Waddington’s Outdoors also has been unpacking what our role is and what our responsibility to our community, our staff, and our customers needs to be. We have been entertaining a constant stream of questions from our customers who are still looking to get outside, who are home when they would otherwise be on vacation, who can no longer go to the gym for their regular workout, or who simply want to be out in nature as they find creative ways to practice responsible social distancing. We understand that many of you were relying on us for equipment rentals, or for a specific piece of gear that you needed and we have heard you loud and clear. As things continue to evolve so will our game plan, however for now this is what we are doing to serve you through these difficult times.
First and foremost, we are open for business, however its going to look a little different. We have 4 main ways you can interact with us.
- Our store will be open regular hours Friday March 20th, Saturday March 21st and Sunday March 22nd pending any updates from the health authorities. Next week we will have reduced hours (See website or google listing for details). To make sure that we are all staying safe we will allow a maximum of 4 people into the store at any time, and we will have mandatory hand sanitizer stations as you enter and as you leave the store.
- Call ahead and we can serve you at the door, take payment online, and help you find anything you wish to purchase.
- We are going virtual! Call, email, or through any other means message us and we will set up a time to shop with you virtually through our store and we will be happy to video chat, share photos etc to help you make the right shopping choices and get the fit you need.
- We deliver! We will be doing a delivery through Chilliwack 3 days a week so if there is something that you need get in touch, and we are happy to deliver it to you right where you are.
We love our community, we hope to be here to serve you for a long time yet to come and we are doing everything in our power to stay open, to stay in business, and to continue to help you get outside and enjoy our phenomenal backcountry.
The team at Mt. Waddington’s Outdoors is wishing you all a healthy and a happy spring as we all work to get through this together.
- Sam Waddington - Owner - Operator