Gift Certificates for the pet lovers in your life. Holiday Pet Hazards to Avoid.
View this email in your browser
As we complete our first year, we want to thank all of our staff, clients, and vendors for helping us create a unique veterinary environment for healing and treating illnesses and injuries of the pets in our community. We have seen over 450 clients totalling over 770 felines, canines, pocket pets, goats and horses. We've worked hard to get our laser certifications, our Silver Certification as a Cat Friendly Practice from the AAFP, and our comfy home outfitted with the latest veterinary technologies and supplies.
We wish you a happy, healthy and prosperous new year. This January, look for upcoming news about our first annual anniversary and client appreciation events!
Adorable Pets Veterinary Center Gift Certificates are perfect for any pet lover. Special holiday savings, get a $25 BONUS Gift Certificate with every $100 Gift Certificate you buy. They can be used towards any product or service. Call today to pick one up for that special pet lover!
Holiday Hours!
APVC will be closed December 25th-27th to spend time with our families.  We wish you a wonderful holiday season!
Holiday Pet Hazards
 
During this holiday season we are celebrating our family, friends, and great food. All of the festivities are exciting and some of our traditions help us remember the reason for the season. Have you ever eaten something at a holiday party and wondered what was in it and why you don’t feel that good anymore? You can ask your doctor, pharmacist, or go online for some advice to feel better but our four-legged friends are not internet-savvy so they rely upon us mere humans to help them feel better. Those tasty turkey bones, gramma’s special raisin filled stuffing, those delectable sugar-free candy canes, and that holiday cheer in a glass, the shiny tinsel that decorates our homes and countless other trappings can be hazardous or deadly to our companion pets.
Some of the more common holiday hazards include:
Bones:
The holiday turkey, lamb, pork, duck, or chicken will leave a lot of tasty, tantalizing, tempting bones, but don’t feed them to your pet. Cooked bones are brittle and can splinter when chewed.  These small bones or bone chips can lodge in the throat, stomach, and intestinal tract. If you think a vet visit is expensive then imagine an emergency vet surgery due to internal bleeding and peritonitis that can easily cost several thousands of dollars!
Holiday plants:
Lillies, Holly and mistletoe are extremely poisonous when eaten. The lovely poinsettia may not be truly poisonous but its milky white sap and leaves can certainly cause nasty diarrhea and vomiting. Some plants can cause kidney or liver failure. That can easily spoil the holiday mood because you are spending it in a waiting room at your vet hospital. With so many hybrid varieties available each year, the best approach is to keep the plants out of your pet’s reach.
Electrical cords and light bulbs:
Shiny, colorful, hot, blinking holiday lights mean more electrical cords for kittens and puppies to chew. Be sure you have cords secured and out of the way and the bulbs if broken are picked up immediately. Pets that step on broken ornaments can have shards of metal or glass lodged in their paws and your four-legged friend becomes a painful three-legged bleeding all over the house messy friend.
Candles:
Lighted candles should never be left unattended and that is even more important if left at kitty’s eye level or within puppy’s chewing zone. An exuberant tail or a swat of a paw can turn candles and hot wax into an instant fire disaster. Anchor candles securely and away from curious faces and feet.
Pine needles:
Check around holiday trees frequently. Ingested pine needles can puncture your pet’s intestines.
Holiday tree:
Make sure your tree is well secured. If you have a tree-climbing cat or large dog with a happy tail, anchor the top of the tree to the wall, using strong cord or rope. Preservatives often used in the water in a tree stand can cause gastric upsets, so be sure it is inaccessible or not used.
Ornaments:
Sharp or breakable ornaments, dreidels, and even aluminum foil should be kept out of reach. String objects, especially tinsel and ribbons, should be kept away from your pets. They are thin and sharp and can wrap around intestines or ball up in the stomach.
Stress and company:
With everyone coming and going, watch out for open doors and sneaky pets. Make sure your pets have updated collars and tags on in case of escape. Microchipping your pet will also help if your pet escapes. All pets should have at least two forms of id on them at all times. Ask guests to keep an eye out for pets under foot and remind them that sometimes your normally friendly dog or cat may be less than willing to deal with enthusiastic children and rooms full of unfamiliar people. Provide a special quiet place with a blanket and fresh water for your pets to retreat to when the festivities get too stressful.
 
Sugar-Free Baked Goods 
Holiday cookies might look like a tempting treat for Fido, but the artificial sweetener xylitol, found in some sugar-free baked goods, can cause his blood pressure to drop to dangerously low levels.

Dangerous for: Dogs.

Possible symptoms: Vomiting, lethargy, loss of coordination, seizures, and liver failure may indicate poisoning from xylitol.
Alcohol
Fluffy might look thirsty, but keep her away from the punch and egg nog. Pets should never ingest alcoholic beverages because alcohol depresses the nervous system.

Dangerous for: Cats and dogs.

Possible symptoms: Alcohol may cause vomiting, disorientation, diarrhea, lethargy, lack of coordination, difficulty breathing, tremors, coma, and seizures.
Tinsel and Ribbons
Never wrap tinsel or ribbon around the neck of a pet, no matter how festive it looks—this is a choking hazard.

 
 
Copyright © 2013 Adorable Pets Veterinary Center, All rights reserved.


unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences 

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp