September 7th, 2018
How are you? It's been a long time! What have you been up to?
I thought I might send out a little dispatch as September always has me thinking anything and everything is possible... even maintaining a short 'n' sweet sporadic newsletter. Just like last year, here's a list (small and batchy) of the things that are tickling my tastebuds lately which you might like too:
1) Peaky Blinders on Netflix. We dragged out the four seasons for as long as humanly possible, watching an episode a night for weeks. Yes - it is pretty violent but, if you can handle that, the plot and the characterisations are just brilliant. And Cillian Murphy? Perfect, perfect casting.
2) Sweet Potato and Chickpea Salad - I came across this recipe in one of my social media feeds and decided the boring old lettuce/tomato/cucumber salad needed a little spicing up for the Summer. I was pleased to discover that this is incredibly delicious and relatively easy... Lately I have been baking chopped up sweet potato with this dressing and putting it into tortillas to make vegetarian tacos and it's A+.
3) While I write I've been playing Anges Obel's contribution to the compilation series Late Night Tales. It's moody and perfect for getting the imagination running wild.
4) Early this year I worked on a wonderful project for Allen and Unwin (Australia) - Fairytales for Feisty Girls by Suzannah McFarlane. "Girls can rescue themselves - just watch Rapunzel, Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella and Thumbelina create their own happily ever afters in this beautiful and emboldening bedtime book. A glorious treasury for young girls - and boys - featuring artwork from four leading Australian illustrators: Beth Norling, Claire Robertson [me!], Lucinda Gifford and Sher Rill Ng."
It's out now in Australia - you can buy a copy here and you can get tickets to the book launch here!
5) And if you happen to be lucky enough to live on Salt Spring Island, this Friday sees the opening of my two dear friends' show at Kizmit Galleria and Cafe. Julie MacKinnon will be showing some of her incredible new ceramic works, and Mel Williamson will be sharing her visions of nature and death. I love these women and their exceptional art, so this is very exciting.
See you next week!
The Small Batch List
Person with a keyboard
p.s. 100 points for guessing the quote in the subject line!