LWV 100th Anniversary Event
- Tuesday, August 18, 2020, 5:00 - 7:00 pm
- Hosted by LWV Los Altos Mountain View
- At Los Altos History Museum
Come celebrate the centennial of the founding of the League of Women Voters at the Los Altos History Museum. Enjoy a relaxing social evening with other Los Altos/Mountain View members to honor a hundred years of League accomplishments and our continuing efforts to make democracy work. There will be food and beverages and a private opportunity to view the Los Altos History Museum’s Rise Up! exhibit on women’s suffrage and Amendment XIX.
Save the date!
The event may be rescheduled due to COVID-19 restrictions
and concern for our members.
Community Events of Interest
“Decommissioning California Refineries:
Climate and Health Paths in an Oil State”
Join Communities for a Better Environment’s virtual event
Silicon Valley Leadership Group
Celebration of Women: Centennial Virtual Event
2020 marks the 100th
anniversary of the ratification of the 19th
Amendment that guarantees and protects women’s constitutional right to vote.
- Thursday, July 23, 2020, 8:30-11:20 am
- Fireside chat with Jennifer Siebel Newsom
- Featured speakers: Congresswoman Karen Bass and former First Lady of California Maria Shriver
- Cost: $30
- To register go to: svlg.org/event/women’s-event/
Today, more than 68 million women in the United States vote in elections because of the courageous activists of the Women’s Suffrage Movement who never gave up the fight for equality. The speakers will discuss today’s issues of racial justice, equity, empowerment, and leadership.
The Census Is Not Over Yet!
When you complete your Census form, you bring your tax dollars back to our community to fund affordable housing, infrastructure, education, healthcare and more. For each of the past ten years California has received $1950 per resident in federal funds. Our California numbers will also determine our share of seats in the House of Representatives. Please complete your form so that we receive our share of federal dollars and representation! Questions about the Census? Go to: https://2020census.gov/en/what-is-2020-census.html
Call, text or email
family, friends and those you work with to remind them to complete their Census form. ALL RESIDENTS (not just citizens)
are required to complete their Census form.
Learn about how your identity is protected
Video Guide to Completing the 2020 Census Online
UPCOMING AND ON-GOING MEETINGS
- Monday, July 6, 2020, 7:00 - 9:00 pm
- Virtual meeting via Zoom hosted by Lisa McLain.
- Contact Lisa McLain for instructions on joining this meeti
Housing Committee Meeting
- Saturday, July 11, 2020, 2:00 - 3:30 pm
- Read American Nations by Colin Woodard and/or The Fight to Vote by Michael Waldman
- Virtual meeting via Zoom hosted by Marie Young.
- Contact Sue Graham to confirm attendance.
- All are welcome. Meets every other month. Next scheduled meeting TBD.
- Monday, July 13, 2020, 7:30 - 10:00 pm
- Virtual meeting via Zoom hosted by Abby Longcor.
- Contact Abby Longcor for instructions to join meeting..
- Our chapter's Housing Committee regular meeting is the second Monday of the month. The committee works locally in Mountain View and Los Altos to promote more Below Market Rate units and other city zoning and commercial development policies that increase affordable housing
- Thursday, July 23, 2020, 3:30 - 5 pm
- Virtual meeting via Zoom hosted by Karin Bricker
- Contact Karin Bricker for instructions to join meeting.
- LWV MVLA Voter Services committee registers new voters at citizenship ceremonies twice a year; registers and pre-registers high and community college students; and will provide voter education services for the 2020 presidential election cycle.