The Arc Mower County will be closed on Monday, September 3, 2018
in observance of the Labor Day holiday.
Upcoming Activities In The Fall 2018 Activity Guide:
Upcoming Activities In The Winter 2018-2019 Activity Guide:
- 4-H Youth Adventure Program - Animal Adventures
- Card and Game Night
- Community Connections: Austin vs. Mankato West Football Game, Date Night, Dinner and a Movie, Farmer John's Pumpkin Patch, Great River Bluffs State Park and Lark Toys Mini Golf, Great Serengeti Indoor Waterpark, Mystery Trip
- Creative Arts: CD Wind Spinners and the Austin Artworks Center
- Dances: Boot Scootin Boogie Dance, Halloween Spooktacular Dance and Costume Contest and Turkey Twist Dance
- Fall Birthday Bash
- Guys Night Out
- Kitchen Creations
- Ladies Night Out
- Movie and Munchies: Woody Woodpecker, Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle and Black Panther
- Open Center
- People First Aktion Club/SAM
- The Arc In The Park Membership Picnic
- Teen Night (for youth with ASD)
- Brindley's Harbor Resort Leech Lake Vacation
- Special Olympics Bowling
What Can I Register For Now?
- Community Connections: Tonic Sol-fa Holiday Concert
- Special Olympics Basketball
What Can't I Register For?
- You can register for any activity in September including Fall Birthday Bash, Movie and Munchies, Open Center, 4-H Youth Adventure Club, Boot Scooting Boogie Dance, Bingo.
- You can register for Special Olympics Bowling (Session A, Session B and the State Bowling Tournament) that starts in October.
- You can register for Community Connections trips in September, October and November. When registering for any Community Connections trip, you will be automatically added to STANDBY until the registration deadline. Payment is not needed until you are notified.
- You can't register for activities in October until September 17.
- You can't register for activities in November until October 18.
Back to School Tips for Families of Students with Disabilities
The start of a new school year can bring both excitement and anxiety for students and parents, especially for families of students receiving special education supports. Students with disabilities who struggle with change may need extra help making the transition to a new school or teacher.
To help families start the new school year off right, The Arc Mower County offers the following tips:
- Prepare your children before school starts by discussing any anxiety your child may have, setting clear expectations, and slowly transitioning back to your child’s school routine and schedule.
- Review your child’s IEP prior to the start of the school year to ensure that the goals, support services, and placement are still appropriate. Make sure to consider any progress or regression your child may have experienced over the summer or since the last IEP.
- Meet with your child’s teachers and related services providers before school starts to review the IEP together and ensure everyone is on the same page regarding implementation of the IEP. This is also a great opportunity to establish a communication plan with the teachers and related service providers!
- Once school begins, allow your child some time to get used to the new classes, teachers, and schedule, and your child’s teachers some time to get used to your child’s unique strengths and needs, but do not wait too long to address any issues that might arise! Having open and respectful communication and dealing with challenges early can help avoid much bigger problems later.
Current Progress (As of August 31, 2018):
$1,825.00 or 561.5 Feet or 10.64% of our goal
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
Listen to KAUS 1480 AM on September 10, October 1 and November 5
at 10:30 AM for The Arc Mower County Radio Show!
- Holiday Inn Austin Conference Center
Ace of Cakes
- Reichel Foods and Worlein Funeral Home
- The Cedars of Austin, Heartman Insurance, Kwik Trip, Medicap Pharmacy, Medgaarden's Southwest Sales, First Farmers and Merchants Bank and Accentra Credit Union
The Arc In The Park Membership Picnic
Thursday, September 27, 2018 from 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM
at Veteran’s Pavilion, 104 9th Place SW, Austin, MN 55912
Choice of Hot Dog OR Sloppy Jo, Baked Beans,
Chips, Cookie and Beverage
FREE (This applies to participants, family
members, and caregivers.)
Registration Deadline: Tuesday, September 25, 2018
TIPS FOR VOTERS: GETTING HELP VOTING
AND INDEPENDENT VOTING
- If you are under a guardianship you still have the right to vote unless your guardianship court order says that the court has taken away your right to vote.
- If you can’t get into your polling place, you can register and vote from your vehicle. Ask the head election judge to find two election judges to come outside to help you.
- If you cannot sign your name, you have the right to tell the election judge who you are and tell another person to sign your name for you on the roster.
- You have the right to ask for help voting. For example, you can ask an election judge, a friend, family, guardian, or a staff person who works with you, for help.
- Any person you choose can go with you into the voting booth except an agent of your employer or union, or a candidate.
- You can ask someone to mark your ballot for you. It is against the law for them to mark the ballot for you if you cannot communicate to them who you want to vote for.
- You have the right to take a sample ballot into the voting booth with you.
- It is against the law for anyone in the polling place to try to influence your vote. It is your vote, and your choice!
Minnesota Disability Law Center/Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid 612-746-3711
2018 Election Dates:
Learn more at:
- November 6, 2018 - Election Day
Matthew Hahn - September 4
Daniel Lukes - September 4
Mike Bierlen - September 8
Michelle Jensen (Staff) - September 8
Jennifer Swenson - September 9
Steve Anderson - September 11
Damion Kenitz - September 18
Vickie Tenhoff - September 21
Tianna Weigel - September 21
Brian Wollenburg - September 22
Diana Bierlen - September 26
Rebecca Loven - September 26
Lance Whalen - September 26
Tom O’Conner - September 30
Michelle Sundlie - September 30
Thank you for
The Arc Mower County gratefully acknowledges the following people, businesses and organizations who have made recent financial or in-kind contributions as well as new members, renewing members and volunteers: August 1 - 31, 2018:
A Mile of Quarters,
- Kristina Huffman
- Peter and Kathryn Green
A Foot For Special Olympics:
- Margaret Bissen
- Customers at Mapleview Lounge and Bottle Shop
- Customers at Medicap Pharmacy
- Customers at Sterling Main Street
- Customers at George's Pizza
- Customers at Mower County 4-H Dairy Bar
- Karin Hanson
- Barb Orth
- Customers at Piggy Blue's Bar-B-Que
- Customers at Steve's Pizza
- Andrea Enfield
- Customers at Austin VFW Post 1216
- Austin Eagles Club - Aerie 703
- Melissa Karge
- Jason Lein
- Peter and Kathryn Green
- Ryan Carstens
- Amy Kvam
- Julia Bye
- Ruth Stanton
- Gloria Sewright
We strive for excellence in our record keeping of each donor, member and volunteer. Please feel free to contact us if you notice an error in this list by calling The Arc Mower County at (507) 433-8994 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome and appreciate your feedback.
- Margaret Bissen
- Brandon Duclos
- Jennie Esplan
- John Gray
- Barb Keist
- Roger Mallan
- Steven Mallan
- Heidi Portz
- Roy Rolfson
- Crystal Steinbach
- Laura Tjomsland
- Stephanie Wagner
at The Arc
If you are interested in volunteering, please email email@example.com,
call 507-433-8994 or visit
for more information.
- 09/12/18, 06:00 PM-07:30 PM, Fall Birthday Bash
- 09/19/18, 06:30 PM-08:00 PM, Open Center
- 09/20/18, 03:00 PM-05:00 PM, 4-H Youth Adventure Club: Animal Adventures
- 09/25/18, 04:00 PM-05:00 PM, Boot Scootin Boogie Dance, SET-UP AND DECORATE IF NEEDED
- 09/25/18, 06:00 PM-08:00 PM, Boot Scootin Boogie Dance, ACTIVITY ASSISTANT
- 09/26/18, 06:00 PM-07:30 PM, Bingo
- 09/27/18, 05:30 PM-07:30 PM, The Arc In The Park Membership Picnic