2015 Winner of WorkSafe Saskatchewan's annual Safe Employer Award: R.H. Electric, Yorkton
Do you make safety your mission?
Employers who make safety a core value for their companies, know there are rewards in doing so. These rewards come in forms of Employee morale in addition to reduced costs that are due to injuries, lost time and reduced productivity!
Over the next few issues we will feature safety in the workplace leading up to The National Day of Mourning, held annually on April 28.
In the 20-year period from 1993 to 2013, 18,941 Canadians lost their lives due to work-related causes (an average of 902 deaths per year). Every year on April 28 we pay our respects to, and remember, the thousands of workers who have been killed, injured or suffered illness as a result of work-related incidents.
WorkSafe Saskatchewan's Mission: Zero
Saskatchewan has the second worst workplace injury rate in Canada. Mission: Zero was developed as a call to action and a goal for employers and companies to achieve zero workplace injuries.
In 2009, Safe Saskatchewan adopted Mission Zero as the prevention goal for all injuries â€“ on and off the job. It has since been adopted as the symbol for injury prevention and goal for over 350 companies and organizations in Saskatchewan through the Health and Safety Leadership Charter.
What does Mission: Zero mean?
- Mission: Zero means working toward zero injuries, zero fatalities, zero suffering.
- It means believing all unintentional injuries are predictable and preventable.
- It means that the only right number of unintentional injuries and fatalities is ZERO.
- It means becoming a champion to make my community a safer place to live, work, and play.
- It means, as employees and citizens, we are going to work together to make Saskatchewan the safest province to live, work and play.
- It means, at my company, we believe in Mission: Zero. We put safety first and prevent injuries to ourselves, our co-workers, our families and neighbours.
- It is up to all of us to prevent injuries.
To learn more about Mission: Zero, preventing injuries away from work, and the Health and Safety Leadership Charter, visit www.safesask.com.
Safe Employer Award
WorkSafe Saskatchewan recognizes employers â€“ one each year â€“ through the Safe Employer Award. Adjudicated by a committee, this award is presented every spring to an employer who exemplifies workplace safety.
Apply for the 2017 Award: Health and safety committees and employers in Saskatchewan are invited to apply via this online form or their 2017 Safe Employer paper application.