Essential Skills
View this email in your browser

Home inspectors inspect buildings. They look for and report on building defects, damage and general building condition.

Careers in Skilled Trades:
Home and property inspector

Can you identify problems and defects within existing home construction? Can you deal effectively with real estate agents and home buyers? Do you have a background in residential construction? Do you have strong technical report writing skills? Are you an effective time manager?

If the answer to these questions is yes, then a career as a Home and Property Inspector could be right for you.

Home and property inspectors inspect the construction of existing buildings. They look for and report on building defects, damage, components that are nearing the end of their useful life and general building condition.

As a rule, home and property inspectors are self-employed or work for home inspection businesses or franchises.


Home and property inspectors may perform some or all of the following duties:

  • Inspect new or resale homes on behalf of clients, make assessments and provide reports on the physical condition of property
  • Inspect and conduct basic testing of existing electrical or plumbing installations
  • Inspect existing buildings to identify and report on structural defects, fire hazards and other threats to safety

Work Conditions

Home and property inspectors spend a lot of time in the field conducting inspections. Reporting work is completed in offices.

As with all careers in the construction industry, safety is the top priority. While on construction or other job sites, home and property inspectors must be aware of and comply with all relevant safety policy and procedures.

Training and Certification

Home and Property Inspector training is available from a number of colleges across Canada and through private training providers. Completing all recommended courses can take anywhere from two to six months.

A good source of information on home inspector courses and training programs is the Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors (CAHPI). CAHPI also operates a National Certification Program for home and property inspectors. In addition, there are provincial home inspection associations affiliated with CAHPI that operate in most provinces, providing home inspectors with provincial certifications. For more information, visit

As a rule, a college diploma in construction, building science or architectural technology, plus several years of related work experience are required in this profession; or several years experience working as a qualified tradesperson in a residential construction trade such as plumbing, carpentry or electrical.

Info compiled from Careers in Construction

View more videos and info at our website


Keep in touch on Facebook!

Get news and updates from ASWA.
Like us on Facebook...
visit our Facebook page
Copyright © 2019 ABORIGINAL SKILLED WORKERS ASSOCIATION-ASWA, All rights reserved.

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences 

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp