Oil and gas industry jobs
What you need to succeed
There are many career opportunities in the petroleum industry. Over the next few issues we'll feature some of the career paths available. This issue is about:
Drilling, oilfield servicing and seismic contractors, as well as some pipeline companies employ field workers. The jobs tend to be routine in nature and training is done on-the-job. These occupations provide a good entry point for the industry and assist in the operation of the rig equipment when drilling, completing or maintaining a well.
This type of work includes setting up, taking down and servicing the rig equipment. There is also general clean-up of the rig area, pipeline facilities and/or lease site that may be needed. They may also assist with reclamation and routine construction work at a site.
A career as a field worker might be for you if you have the following skills, interests and abilities:
Sound interesting? Find out more about Field work careers at the Careers in Oil and Gas website.
- Ability to take direction and show initiative.
- Be able to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
- Can travel and stay in isolated locations for extended periods of time.
- Willing to walk long distances in uneven terrain carrying heavy loads.
- Enjoy outdoor physical activities and operating all-terrain vehicles.
- Willing to travel on ATVs, boats, helicopters and other wilderness transportation.
- Able to problem solve, trouble-shoot and think quickly on your feet.