How ASWA can help you get to work
After you join ASWA there are a few steps before being referred to a workplace:
Send us your resume
- Send us a current resume and copy of your credentials.
- Find out how to send them in on our How to Apply page
- Next is the "peer-review" process â€“ where a qualified tradesman/woman will review your resume and credentials, and identify what type of job you would qualify for.
- When the above step is complete, you are then added to the ASWA database.
When an employer submits a "Work Request" to ASWA, we look for Members in our database that match the Employer's request. (ASWA has agreements with Employers in Saskatchewan and Alberta. In addition, our partner, the Canadian Union of Skilled Workers, has relationships with Employers across Canada.)
If you are a "match, you will be given a "Work Referral Notice" (that includes the location of the work, the rate of pay and the name of the Employer)
The next step is all up to you!
- When an Employer puts out a "Work Request,â€ they usually need someone right away, so itâ€™s important that you report for work as requested.
- Employers will often provide additional training when you arrive on the job site - this may include an introductory course about their company, health and safety training, etc.
- Most Employers also require you to complete a Drug and Alcohol test at this point
Other things to note:
- Keep your qualifications up to date
- And let us know when you've completed new training, etc, so we can add it to your profile.
- If you have questions we will be happy to answer them. Just send us an email.