Hey crew! Sorry about the three week absence. We're back in action!
Last Friday night I went out with a few mates who are in the same life stage as me. What I was expecting to be an evening of watching footy and eating a delicious burger turned out to be a couple of hours of incredibly encouraging discussion about marriage, parenting and faith. I wasn't keen to go out that night, but I left there blessed, encouraged and revived. I'm thankful for the deep friendships I have through the Gospel.
The following morning I read Acts 20-21 and noticed a similar thing in Paul's life. He was leaving Ephesus and he knew that he'd never see the Ephesians again. Luke tells us "When Paul had finished speaking, he knelt down with all of them and prayed. They all wept as they embraced him and kissed him... then they accompanied him to the ship. After we had torn ourselves away from them, we put out to sea." (20:36-21:1). They the sailed on to Tyre where they stayed for a week. When they left Tyre Luke says of the Christians there: "All of them, including wives and children, accompanied us out of the city, and there on the beach we knelt to pray." (21:5).
Moments like these are recorded in scripture because they clearly meant something to the author. The journey through life is never just a list of when's and where's, it is littered with the "who's", the people that made then when's and where's memorable. Parenting and marriage can be hectic, tiring, beautiful, joyous, scary, hopeless and fun. We need to be surrounded by people to walk this journey with us. That is why God has placed us in community.
I want to leave you with 3 simple applications from this truth:
Be blessed and be a blessing.
- Be involved in church community. You may be tired and busy but there is no better way to spend your time.
- Reach out to someone. Be that friend who prays, encourages and walks with another. Think of 1 person to do that for this weekend and do it.
- Ask for help. I know a lot of us are struggling. Please don't do it alone. Reach out to someone you trust. Simply replying to this email and asking for prayer or a catch up is an easy way to start.
Now... A couple of other things:
- Thanks to all who attended our parenting seminar. Harriet Connor showed us how the ancient wisdom of the Bible prepares us for modern parenting. Good stuff!! If you missed it, or want to hear it again please follow this link for the talk and the Q and A session.
- For your diary:
- Kids' Ministry Showcase. 2nd Sep @ 9 and 11am church
- Kids' Arvo Family BBQ. 14th Sep 5:30-7pm
(0422 734 830)