Fifth Beatle's Greatest Hits /
Harvey Awards voting closes Mon Aug 18th
"A wonderfully eccentric telling of one of the great unsung architects of 20th Century culture, with luminous art by two modern masters of the field." -- Warren Ellis
"Must-have Rock & Roll for your bookshelf-and tablet- The Fifth Beatle is a Terrific graphic novel: a must read, must experience Experience..." -- Bill Sienkiewicz
"Vivek J. Tiwary's unique telling of the Brian Epstein story has the jaunty, fluid flavor of a Beatles lyric itself" -- Howard Cruse
We are super grateful to our fans, collaborators, and industry friends for the fab reception you've given The Fifth Beatle. As we gear up for the film and continue our book tour, please join us in relishing some highlights since our launch in November. Below are selected accolades, reviews, and features. If you're a comics creator, please consider voting for The Fifth Beatle in the HARVEY AWARDS. Fifth Beatle is nominated for 2(!) Harveys --"Best Graphic Album - Original" & "Best Biographical, Historical, or Journalistic Presentation" All "who write, draw, ink, color, letter, design, edit or are involved in the creative aspect of comics" can VOTE until Monday 8/18/14. Please consider Fifth Beatle when you vote here: http://www.harveyawards.org/2014-final-ballot/
ACCOLADES AND AWARDS:
- EISNER Award: The Fifth Beatle won the Will Eisner Comics Industry award for "Best Reality-Based Work" and received a nomination for Andrew C. Robinson for "Best Painter/Multimedia Artist."
- The National Cartoonists Society REUBEN AWARD for "Best Graphic Novel" -- Artist Andrew C. Robinson won for the The Fifth Beatle.
- NEW YORK TIMES #1 Best Seller - Graphic Novel Hardcover
- 14th annual LIBRARY OF CONGRESS NATIONAL BOOK FESTIVAL: The Fifth Beatle creative team-- writer Vivek J. Tiwary & artists Andrew Cartwright Robinson & Kyle Baker-- have been selected to present at the Festival chaired by President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama, August 30, 2014. The Fifth Beatle team is one of only 100 author teams (of any category-- not just graphic novels) chosen to present!
- ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME: The Fifth Beatle has been added to the Permanent Collection + Museum & Library Archives.
- Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) Award for 2014: Nominated for GREAT GRAPHIC NOVELS FOR TEENS. From Vivek: "I learned to love literature from my parents-- and from the head librarian at Grace Church School. Today I keep a few copies of The Fifth Beatle in my car and whenever I pass a library, I drop in and donate one. Thanks to all the libraries and librarians who make sure our kids love literature!"
- Lambda Literary Foundation Award: The Fifth Beatle named a "LAMMY" finalist "for excellence in LGBT literature."
- Foreword Reviews Book of the Year Award: Nomination for Fifth Beatle
FIFTH BEATLE REVIEWS
- 10/10 review in IGN.com and "IGN's Best Graphic Novel of 2013" "There are certain comic books you can hand to somebody and say, with confidence, 'This is a masterpiece, a true work of art.' The Fifth Beatle is one of these books. A brilliant comic, in every aspect, from script to art to lettering to production; it is beautiful."
- USA Today's guide to 2013's best graphic novels and collections: "classic... a magnificent glimpse behind the scenes of the world's biggest band.
- Wink / BoingBoing's Mark Frauenfelder: "one of the great graphic novels, destined to be a classic.... a fascinating, cinematic account of Beatles manager Brian Epstein’s determination to ignore the chorus of rejections and take The Beatles far beyond where any musical group had gone before..."
- COMIC BOOK RESOURCES: 5 Star review: "The Fifth Beatle takes the readers and Beatles fans backstage to get to know the man who made the band into a phenomenon and shows what an accomplished yet lonely man he was; it's captivating, brilliant, funny, and tragic, and it artistically captures every mood and locale associated with this era of Beatlemania."
- BLEEDING COOL's 11 Best Graphic Novels of 2013 "Brian Epstein’s life is presented in not only a warm, bright way to engage readers, but suggests a degree of sensory perception that enables the narrative to jump between points in time without losing that reader-engagement...."
- The Onion AV Club "Favorite Books of the Year "Vivek J. Tiwary and the artists Andrew C. Robinson and Kyle Baker should be lauded for delivering this story to a brand new medium"
- Amazon Omnivoracious Noteworthy, Standout Graphic Novels: "Brian Epstein receives his due in this dreamy, eccentric graphic novel.
- io9's Very Very Best Comics of 2013 "Epstein's rise and fall, set next to the continual rise of the band he led, is compelling, as well as an extraordinary look inside the Beatles themselves."
- Hollywood Reporter Top Comics of 2013 "Heartbreaking, exhilarating and unexpected no matter your love of Beatles lore... a complete triumph."
- CBS requested Vivek write "Brian Epstein: The Fifth Beatle" essay for their "50 Years Later...The Beatles At The Ed Sullivan Theater" micro-site
- Watch Fifth Beatle writer/producer Vivek J. Tiwary on Bloomberg Television "He [Brian Epstein] packaged them, presented them, came up with the suits, the haircuts, convinced a record label to sign them when no label was interested, convinced Ed Sullivan to book them..."
- University of Pennsylvania Gazette interview with Vivek: "...Tiwary often wondered what it took to manage a band, particularly his favorite band, the Beatles. Brian Epstein—who had been managing his family’s record store in Liverpool when he first saw the band perform in 1961—piqued Tiwary’s interest, partly because Epstein didn’t fit into society at the time, and Tiwary sometimes felt the same way. Tiwary was an Indian-American kid in a world where people from his background usually studied medicine and science. Epstein was gay in a county where homosexuality was a felony, and Jewish in the British music industry when, according to Tiwary, it had relatively few Jews..."
- August 15-17 -- writer / producer Vivek J. Tiwary is making multiple appearances at The Fest For Beatles Fans Chicago #ChiFest14 Continuing the celebration of 50th anniversary of the arrival of the Beatles in America, this year's Chicago Fest promises to be amazing. Among the musical guests are Peter Noone, Mickey Dolenz, Dolenz, Mike Pender, Mark Rivera , Laurance Juber, Mark Hudson, and Liverpool, a fab Beatles tribute band + many authors, memorabilia & parties! Full Fifth Beatle schedule here
- See here for more upcoming appearances by Vivek and Andrew
The Fifth Beatle Team
THE FIFTH BEATLE is a graphic novel and feature film recounting the untold true story of Brian Epstein, the brilliant visionary who discovered the Beatles in a cellar in Liverpool, nurtured, protected, and guided them to international stardom, and died extremely successful and painfully lonely at the young age of 32. Read more at www.thefifthbeatle.com/story.