OCHA Situation Report
Vanuatu | Severe Tropical Cyclone Pam
Situation Report No. 2 | 16 March 2015
Please find enclosed the link to OCHA Situation Report no. 2 on Severe Tropical Cyclone Pam in Vanuatu
. This report covers the period from 15 to 16 March 2015. The next report will be issued on or around 17 March 2015.
For further information, please contact:
- Aerial assessments have been carried out by military aircraft from New Caledonia, Australia and New Zealand.
- Despite reports of severe and widespread damage, Shefa remains the only province declared an emergency at this stage.
- There are 24 confirmed fatalities, 11 from Tafea, eight from Efate and five from Tanna.
- 3,300 people are sheltering in 37 evacuation centres in Torba and Penama Provinces, and the main island of Efate.
- Radio and telephone communication with outer islands is yet to be established.
- Commercial aircraft have resumed flights to Port Vila despite damage to the airport.
- The UN Disaster Assessment and Coordination team arrived in Port Vila today, with three personnel from OCHA’s Regional Office for the Pacific, to support the coordination of incoming humanitarian assistance.