'The Business of... Music Production' Highlights
Last night we took an enlightening look at the world of Music Production. Joining us for a thoroughly engaging discussion were producers Rob Ellis (PJ Harvey, Anna Calvi, Bat for Lashes), Matthew Johnson (Hookworms, Frankie & The Heartstrings, Joanna Gruesome) and Andrew Archer (Trafik).
With a mixture of anecdotes and informative information, the trio, whose experience of the industry varied and covered all levels and many genres, helped attendees grasp the role of a modern producer and how to earn income from the craft.
Hereâ€™s 5 golden nuggets that came out of the discussion:
- Remember you're working for the band on their record, offer advice and guidance but don't impose your ideas.
- There's more to the role than purely the creative skills, to be efficient you need to learn about project management. You also need people skills and on occasion, be a mediator during band squabbles.
- As a producer, if you play on a recording or are named as 'eligible studio producer', make sure you register with PPL to generate revenue from airplay and public performances of the record. Forms can be found on the PPL website.
- Remixing is becoming an increasingly valuable revenue stream and can generate leads for future work and creative collaborations.
- It shouldn't be all about making money, remember why you got into music and do it because you have a passion for it.