One morning when my son was in preschool, my cup was feeling really full and in a moment of supreme clarity, I sat down and wrote the following (this is from the beginning of Ch. 2 on self-care in my book Nurturing the Soul of Your Family: 10 Ways to Reconnect and Find Peace in Everyday Life):
The life I desire is marked by deep connections to my child and partner. It’s a life filled with joy and meaning. It’s a life in which I feel supported and nurtured by an incredible community of men and women— young and old. I experience regular, meaningful, heartfelt connections with people I care about. I am continually open to growth — as a woman, a mother, a partner, and a spiritual being. I enjoy supporting and serving others in a way that feeds me rather than drains me. I feel that I always have enough time in my life for those things that are most important to me. My life flows, I trust my intuition, and I expect good to come to me. I feel peaceful. I am loving, and I feel loved. This is the life I desire.
While this is still true and accurately describes my life over the last ten years, I’m ready for Life 2.0. For a life that is even more spacious, supported and less plugged in.
During my recent digital detox/writing sabbatical, the vision of this “dream life,” came to me on day five. Some of the aspects of my Life 2.0 would include:
• The space to pursue creative activities related to my work and be unplugged completely twice a month for one to five days
• Having a team member who checks my email for me and who does as good or a better job than I do at replying with diplomacy, grace and efficiency
• Weekly nature excursions with good friends who also have a deep affinity with nature (I’m starting a G.R.I.N. group, which stands for “Girls Renewing in Nature!”)
• Time and space for long teas with dear friends whenever I like (even twice a month would be divine!)
• Romantic getaways with my husband at least one night a month and at least one weekend a year
• Family nature-based vacations locally and nationally every two to three months minimum (these help us recalibrate and all get on the same page–invaluable!)
• Unbelievable support on the parenting front from amazing heart-centered parenting experts, coaches, teachers and school staff
• Spiritual direction/support from world-class colleagues, teachers, retreat centers and training
• Speaking opportunities–both domestic and international–that are extremely well-paying, fun, easy and feed me on all levels
And of course all of these desires are in complete alignment with my income goals. Sound decadent? It does to me, too. But I thought the life I envisioned back in 2004 sounded outrageous and low and behold, it unfolded just as I described it.
In my “dream life,” I feel free, spacious, generous, open, passionate/juicy, aligned, grounded and playful. I am imbued with a sense of incredible confidence, clarity and discernment and can easily see what is a “Yes,” “Later,” or “No.”
I feel a bit shy about putting this out there as it may sound crazy, impossible or only attainable for the self-employed (my team and I work with many clients who would love to have just one day off a month). But I know that giving voice to a desired vision is one of the most powerful things you can do to bring it to fruition. I also believe that in sharing my life 2.0 vision, perhaps, maybe, it may inspire you to reflect on what yours might look like, as well.
Seeking a tribe and monthly support for creating the life you desire? Women in ten countries around the globe are meeting monthly to envision, design and claim their Life 2.0 vision through our award-winning Personal Renewal Group Program. Learn more about how you can become an RTA-Certified Facilitator and empower women in your community OR find a group in your area.
Subscribe here to Live Inside Out, a weekly blog written by work-life balance speaker/author Renée Peterson Trudeau. Her work has appeared in The New York Times, Good Housekeeping and more. Thousands of women in ten countries are becoming RTA-Certified Facilitators and leading/joining self-renewal groups based on her award-winning curriculum. Her newest release is Nurturing the Soul of Your Family. She lives in Austin, Texas, with her husband and 11 year-old son. More on her background here.
The post The life I desire (version 2.0) appeared first on Renee Trudeau & Associates.