SAA Community Forum and AGM Moves Online: Date Announced
Join us for our online Community Forum and Annual General Meeting to be held September 23, 2 – 4 pm. Stay tuned for more details!
The Arts Alliance is looking for nominations to our Board of Directors
If you are interested in, or know of someone who is interested in serving as a director for the Saskatchewan Arts Alliance, please forward your nomination to the Nominations Committee: c/o Saskatchewan Arts Alliance 1150 8th Avenue, Suite 101 Regina, SK S4R 1C9, or by email at email@example.com.
Check Out Our Latest Story in our Series Covid Visions by Steven Ross Smith
Check out the third story, Showbiz featuring Gordon Tootoosis Nīkānīwin Theatre, Little Manitou Art Gallery, Yorkton Film Festival, and artist Amberlin Hsu. "Amidst a strange soup of uncertainty, worry, cautious adaptation, and hope, presenters peer ahead, strengthen networks, reimagine programs, and carry on creatively." Read the full story here.
Overwhelmed by Covid-19 Information? Check out our Curated Covid-19 Resource List
SAA updates our Covid-19 Resource Page regularly. You will be able to find resources pertaining to funding relief, grants, federal and provincial responses, online arts and culture events, and much more. If you have a question, maybe there is an answer in our resource list.
Renew Your SAA Membership Today
Membership is open to all arts organizations, practicing artists and individuals that support the SAA’s mandate. To renew or to become a member for the first time, click here.
Creative Saskatchewan Appoints New CEO
The Creative Saskatchewan Board of Directors is pleased to announce the appointment of Erin Dean to the position of Chief Executive Officer. Dean has served as Creative Saskatchewan's Director of Programs and Investments since the agency's inception in 2013. Her appointment as the agency's CEO is effective immediately. Read the full press release here.
Government of Canada Announces Transitional Plan from CERB to EI and New Recovery Benefits
On August 20, 2020, the newly-minted Minister of Finance Chrystia Freeland, together with Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Disability Inclusion Carla Qualtrough, announced the extension of the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) for four more weeks into late September. From that point onwards, starting September 27, Canadians out of work will transition to a simplified Employment Insurance (EI) program or one of the three new benefits announced. For more information, click here.
Jesse Wente named Chair of the Board of the Canada Council for the Arts
The Canada Council for the Arts welcomes the appointment of Jesse Wente as the new Chair of its Board for a 5-year term, effective July 28, 2020. Wente was appointed following the Governor in Council application and selection process. Jesse Wente succeeds Pierre Lassonde, who had held the position for the last five years. To find out more, click here.
New Deadline: The Governor General’s Literary Awards
Canada Council for the Arts | Conseil des arts du Canada is currently accepting nominations for the Governor General's Literary Awards. The new deadline for submitting all remaining nominations for #GGBooks2020 is October 1, 2020, and results will be announced in 2021. For more info, please visit: http://ow.ly/JmWQ50AWr1g
Wanuskewin Galleries Launches Artist-in-Residence Program
Wanuskewin Galleries is proud to launch their Artist-in-Residence program and is accepting applications immediately. Amid the global pandemic, the Galleries have the opportunity to work with Indigenous artists remotely, through virtual residencies. Funded by RBC Emerging, the AIR opportunity provides artists from Canada with the time and space to generate new ideas, showcase their creative practice, build their body of work, and connect with individuals around Saskatoon and beyond. To learn more and apply, visit https://wanuskewin.com/visit/exhibitions/.
CIF Proceeds with October 1, 2020 Deadline
Thanks to an Emergency Pandemic Response Gaming Grant of $5 million from the Government of Saskatchewan the Community Initiatives Fund is able to proceed with its regular October 1 application deadline. This one-time grant to the CIF is intended to help offset the loss of more than $8 million the CIF expected to receive this year due to the temporary closure of Casinos Regina and Moose Jaw due to COVID-19. The grant to the CIF will allow them to continue providing funding through their regular Community Grant Program to support the delivery of programs and services in communities throughout Saskatchewan. View the guidelines
While researching at the SAA, we discover a lot of interesting information and we like to share some of it with you.
A CULTURE OF EXPLOITATION: “Reconciliation” and the Institutions of Canadian Art by Lindsay Nixon. This Yellowhead Institute Special Report examines inequities in art institutions, the pandemic and Indigenous artists and art. It offers 15 Standards of Achievement that can serve as a guide for institutions and governments to begin reversing this exploitation and renewing the relationship.
The New Experience Economy: The Intersection of Arts, Culture, Sports & Recreation in a Pandemic and Post-Pandemic Environment – Wave 2 Results (August 20). Stone-Olafson’s second report delves into Albertans’ attitudes on comfort, spending, impact of media and audience expectations. Though there are differences between Saskatchewan and Alberta, readers may find the information useful to inform their own situations. The Wave 1 Report can be found here.
The Star: Jesse Wente’s goal as new chair of the Canada Council for the Arts? To reduce the harm it causes
How can Canada’s performing arts ecosystem change in the face of COVID-19? By Christopher Deacon, president and CEO of the National Arts Centre. Globe and Mail
- New Initiative & Diversity Grant | Saskatchewan Drama Association | on-going | Details
- Creative Sask | on-going | Details
- Canada Council for the Arts | Deadline Schedule
- Canada-Saskatchewan Job Grant | Ongoing | Details
- Canada Cultural Spaces Fund | Ongoing | Details
- Program Officers | Canada Council for the Arts | August 28 | Details
- Artistic Director | Tarragon Theatre | September 4 | Details
- Administrative Director | Neutral Ground | September 8 | Details
- Curator | Art Gallery of Southwestern Manitoba | September 13 | Details
- Head of Communications + Marketing | Conseil culturel fransaskois | September 18 | Details
- Executive Director and CEO | MacKenzie Art Gallery | September 30 | Details
- The Equity X Production Mentorship Program | Deadline August 31 | Details
- Americana Music Association | Thriving Roots: A Virtual Community Music Conference | September 16 – 18 | Details
- SSO for You - Online content from the Saskatoon Symphony Orchestra
- Open House Live Stream Series | SaskMusic | Details
- List of Canadian Live Streams | CBC Music | Details
- 2020-21 Regina Symphony Orchestra season
- Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan YouTube Channel | Details
- Social Distancing Festival | Website
- National Theatre at Home | Watch
- Theatre On-Call | Details
- Canada Council for the Arts: The Governor General’s Literary Awards: New Deadline
- 2021 Indigenous Mentorship Program | SK Writers’ Guild | Details
- 2021 Mentorship Program | SK Writers’ Guild | Details
- Starting from Scratch: Building a Suite of Poems with Gerald Hill | SK Writers’ Guild | Details
- Conversation to Dialogue SK Writer’s Guild | Details
- The Fundamentals of Location Audio Workshop | SK Filmpool | Sept. 6th | 2pm | Details
- Paved Arts | One Take Super 8 | Sept. 22 | 7pm | Details
- Film in Colour | filmincolour.ca
- ontheboards.tv | Watch
- VUCAVU: Canadian film and video | Website
- vtape | Website
- Showing Initiatives II | PAVED Arts | Watch
- FREE Brain Body Connection Workshop series | Zoom | 2:30-4PM CST |Sept 14th - Oct 5th | Details
- Digital Community Workshop Program | Free Flow Dance | Details
- Toronto Online Dance Collective | Classes
- SCC Fine Craft Boutique, open Mon-Fri from 12pm-5pm!
- SaskGalleries | Shop the Galleries - See it. Love it. Buy it. SK Art | www.shopthegalleries.ca.
- Secrets of the Vault | Mann Art Gallery | Watch
- CARFAC wants you to track your income loss due to Covid-19.
- The Big Artist Opportunity List | this is a working list of mostly artist residencies, some grants and galleries. It's an extensive resource | Details
- Common Weal Community Arts | A collection of activities that bring an artful lens to your COVID-19 isolation |Details
- National Arts Centre | Website
- Call for Submissions | Sâkêwêwak | Details
- Field Trip: Art Across Canada. Online Platform by art organization partnerships to support and engage artists. Children's programming, artist talks and workshops offered.
- Akimbo Listings | Details
Saskatchewan Arts Alliance Board of Directors
Risa Payant – President
Will Brooks– Vice President
Mary Blackstone – Treasurer
Daniel Parr – Secretary
Kathryn Ricketts – Past President
Jamie Boldt -- Member at Large
Colin McFadyen – Member at Large
Karen Reynaud – Member at Large
The Saskatchewan Arts Alliance is a non-profit coalition of arts organizations that provides a collective voice for the arts in Saskatchewan. Established in 1984, SAA advocates on issues such as public funding of the arts, freedom of expression and artists’ working conditions
SAA recognizes our presence on the territories of the Nêhiyawak, Anihšināpēk, Dene, Dakota, Lakota and Nakota nations, and the homeland of the Métis/Michif Nation. We are committed to moving forward with Indigenous Nations in the spirit of reconciliation and collaboration.